From the blurb: n 1940, eighteen-year old Juliet Armstrong is reluctantly recruited into the world of espionage. Sent to an obscure department of MI5 tasked with monitoring the comings and goings of British Fascist sympathizers, she discovers the work to be by turns both tedious and terrifying. But after the war has ended, she presumes the events of those years have been relegated to the past for ever.

Ten years later, now a producer at the BBC, Juliet is unexpectedly confronted by figures from her past. A different war is being fought now, on a different battleground, but Juliet finds herself once more under threat. A bill of reckoning is due, and she finally begins to realize that there is no action without consequence.

There are also bookend sections at front and back set in 1981.

I was really looking forward to reading this, Kate Atkinson is one of my favourtie authors, but I'm sad to say that this one is something of  disappointment. It's beautifully written of course, her books always are, but I can't help feeling that though much of the plot is based on  real life and her research (there's an extensive acknowledgement section at the end) she wasn't really sure where she was taking Juliet - or, if she was, she was so determined not to signal it that the plot twist at the end is so unexpected as not to be properly credible. And it may just be that I know too much about the period already but I also found that particular denoument slightly clichéd too.

There is a raft of charecters, some who drift in and out, some who stay a little longer, but very few of them are more than basic charecter sketches including Juliet who is deeply naieve - quite possible for an 18 year old in 1940 but she never seems to become more worldly wise in the war years, despite having a very knowing best friend who is one of the charecters who does come alive, but she only features in the very first part of the book and is barely mentioned again until the end.  All this means you stay pretty uninvolved - I didn't think the book got boring, just that unlike most of Kate Atkinson's books I could bear to put it down.

She's got a new Jackson Brodie coming out in June though. Really looking forward to that.

Edited by Viccie
typos
5 hours ago, MisterHobgoblin said:

I have often thought that Kate Atkinson was a writer I ought to read, but although the blurbs are promising, the reaction from readers often seems a bit lukewarm. Thanks for sharing Viccie. 

That has been my experience with her.  I enjoy the Jackson Brodie books pretty much (and like the dramatization), but for me, her books start out very well with lots of promise and then just fizzle out.

21 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I like the Brodie books, but tried one of her others - Emotionally Weird - and it was awful, I would have dumped it but it was a book group read.  I think she's a Marmite author,

I too found Emotionally Weird hard to get into but I had the added incentive that it is set in my home city and so the memories it revived helped me warm to the characters and in the end I enjoyed the novel. Still think her best book is Behind the Scenes at the Museum. 

• 2 months later...

I have got to about p.250 in this but have admitted defeat. It just seems to be lots of stuff happening and people talking, with little of interest. It feels too whimsical and flippant, like a John le Carré rewritten by Alan Bennett. I do like Kate Atkinson but this has been deeply annoying.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Viccie
      This is a "companion" book to Life After Life, the story of Ursula Todd who was born and died on a stormy night in 1910, and was born and survived and died, and was born again and again... It was one of my favourite reads of 2013 and 2015 when I had to read it again for my book group, and I wouldn't mind reading it once more for another book group either.  So I was really looking forward to A God in Ruins, the story of Ursula's favourite brother Teddy, a bomber pilot, who died on a raid in some of her lives, and survived in others.

It's impssible to talk about the plot, it would just give too much away, (though Kate Atkinson doesn't hesitate to litter the narrative with her own spoilers!) .  As ever Kate Atkinson's writing is wonderful, she drops in little observations such as Sunny's flatmates were too self-absorbed to ever become his friends, pithy and to the point, the plot zings all over the place in her trademark fashion (I have no problems with narratives like this, though I know a lot of people do), the characters are mostly well drawn, but I have to admit that this book was a slog - the first of her books when I haven't been desperate to pick it up again to read just a few more pages.

Part of the problem is Teddy; he's good, brave, conscientious, long-suffering - and dull.  While you can't help liking him and sympathising with him he just doesn't have that spark that grabs your imagination, and goodness is a lot of the book downbeat.  Nearly everyone is disappointed in some way or fails to reach their full potential or sucessfully self-destructs.  And just as you think that things are turning out well for some people...

Kate Atkinson has described this and Life After Life as her wartime novels.  Teddy's wartime experiences are very well drawn but I didn't get involved with him when he was on his missions - I'm not sure if this was because I already knew that he was going to survive and become a writer of nature notes in the local paper so the tension wasn't there or if I just didn't care about him enough.  (If you really want to get under the skin of a bomber pilot read Robert Radcliffe's Under an English Heaven, which is superb).

I did finish it, I enjoyed parts of it a lot, I'm glad I read it, but it isn't one I'd want to read again;
    • By cherrypie
      This is the fourth book in Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series. As with other Kate Atkinson books belief has to be suspended to a certain extent and once again with other books in this series if you are looking for a hard hitting crime book this one will not be for you.

I found Jackson Brodie as likable a character in this book as I have in other books in the series. He is not a particularly strong or dominant character, he seems to bumble along and deal with things as they happen to him rather than take charge of a situation. I always think of him as a kind fair man if a little muddled in his thinking from time to time.

Once again I did not really guess exactly what had happened until near the very end of the book which I think is always a good sign in any crime fiction. I also came to care about the possible outcome for Tracey and Courtney as Tracey especially really endeared herself as the book progressed. I always find that the strongest aspect of any Kate Atkinson book whether it be one of The Jackson Brodie series or one of her stand alone books is the strength of her characters. This book is no exception.

As with other Kate Atkinson books both the time line and the story teller jumped about a fair bit but as I have read a number of books by this author now I was fully prepared for this. All her books seem to follow a similar pattern. I can understand how some readers may find this a bit predictable but as I really read her books for their characters and entertainment value I have never found that this aspect of her writing has ever bothered me.

A nice, easy and entertaining read full of real characters. A perfect book to read between more demanding reading.
    • By Viccie
      "What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right?

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, a baby is born and dies before she can take her first breath.

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, the same baby is born and lives to tell the tale.

What if there were second chances? And third chances? In fact an infinite number of chances to live your life? Would you eventually be able to save the world from its own inevitable destiny? And would you even want to?"

Kate Atkinson is a consumate stylist and superb writer and could make the telephone directory interesting, in this book she's created a storyline that stays with you long after you've finished it and with quite a few unanswered questions too.  Some people might find this deeply annoying, I didn't.

The book's faults?  One or two of Ursula's lives are described at too much length and the scenes in Germany with Hitler don't seem to have the same conviction as other parts of the books.  But all that's minor compared to what is so very good about Life After Life; the scene setting, the story telling, the sense of place, Ursula's growth during each of her lives and the development of her sense of deja vu so she start trying to actively change things - not always with success, the sly humour and the writing which is superb.

One thing though, Ursula's lives flip about a bit and I looked back once or twice to check where I was.  I have a feeling this would be an extremely frustrating book to read on a Kindle.

• By gerbooks
      I have just finished reading this book and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. The charachters were so synpathetically written and well rounded, you just could'nt help liking and feeling for them. The "plot" moved at a good pace and I felt that K. Atkinson handeled the mix of tradedy and comedy really beautifully. One minuite I was smiling at descriptions of charachter foibles etc. and the next I had a tear in my eye for the heartbreak they had gone and were going through.

At no stage did the story drag and everything was written(including the ending) with a quirky touch that was a pleasure to read. Mr. Jackson Brodie is a charechter ro remember and this book is to be highly recommended. (In my opinion!)
    • By Jen
      One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson

This book is that rare thing: a well written novel with good characters and a pacy plot that is sustained throughout. Subtitled 'A Jolly Murder Mystery', the book is set in Edinburgh during the Festival and starts with a violent road rage attack. The story then follows some of the witnesses to the attack, one of whom is Jackson Brodie, a character we first met in Atkinson's last novel Case Histories.

Through a series of wonderfully ridiculous co-incidences the story twists and turns until the climax. It's a silly story and totally unbelievable but the characters are likeable (or hateable!) and the quality of the writing means that you can follow the plot without trying to remember who was who and who did what. Highly recommended as a well above average beach read or filler for a wet weekend.