From the back of the book : The Smart is a true drama of eighteenth century life with a mercurial, mysterious heroine.  Caroline is a young Irish woman who runs off to marry a soldier, comes to London and slides into a glamorous life as high-class prostitute, a great risk-taker, possessing a mesmerising appeal.   

This is also a history of the epoch in which Caroline's life takes place.  She is involved in the most scandalous financial sting of the age and becomes notorious because of it.  Her fellow conspirators (both men and identical twins) are sentenced to hang but Caroline walks free - the author is certain that this is because Caroline is exceptionally clever and knows how to use her allure with the all male jury.  

It's a great book, fascinating from start to finish even although none of the names involved are remotely familiar in this day and age.

Recommended.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lunababymoonchild
      This is Sarah Bakewell's first book.  It is indeed a life of Montaigne. 

The book is split into twenty chapters each one an attempt to answer the one question (How To Live).  Montaigne was a sixteenth century philosopher, although he would not have said so himself.  As far as he was concerned he was just writing down and publishing his thoughts.  What you might call blogging in the 1500's.  The book cites Montaigne's influences as well as his life and is utterly fascinating. 

The prose is lively and accessible and the research, as far as I can make out, is very well done.  It's a fact based book, as you would expect, but it's not dry or boring.  I learnt a great deal.  Not least of which is that Scepticism is actually a branch of philosophy.  That can be broken down further into three parts :  Pyrrhonic Scepticism, founded by the Greek philosopher Phyrro in the fourth century BCE, Academic Scepticism and Mundane Scepticism.  Bakewell didn't go into any detail about the differences but Scepticism is, as you would imagine, the questioning of the certainty of knowledge.  It stuck in my mind because I thought that we Glaswegians would be very good at Mundane Scepticism (whatever that may be!).

I recommend this book, it's knowledgeable and accessible and very entertaining.

• By lunababymoonchild
      I have no idea why Sarah Bakewell chose such a ridiculously long title but there it is. This is actually a history of Existentialism.

This book is clear (and concise!) and very well written, split into chapters that tell of the development of Existentialism from it's beginnings and that which influenced it to the present day. Including those who influenced and helped to develop it. In so doing the book does provide an explanation of what Existentialism is which is easy to understand.

Along the way the author takes into account the first World War and the second World War and what both of those meant to the intellectuals and philosphers who practiced Existentialism. It's also very clear all throughout the text that the author is passionate about her subject.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is filled with facts but not dry and boring and it very much describes Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir as people as well as philosophers and intellectuals and how they both were at the beating heart of this fascinating philosophy. It also describes how they both made a living.

I recommend this book, long title 'n all