Sign in to follow this  
momac

Characteristics or contents of award worthy books

What makes a makes a book worthy of any of the various awards, is it content, readability, interesting to those who read only 'good' books, is it subject matter, characters, does it have an interesting layout, cover, and whatever else - who nominates the books to be considered???

Usually, I think, the publisher puts a book forward for consideration, then the award-givers have various ways of whittling the nominees down to, first, a 'long-list' and then a shortlist, and then their appointed judges pick a winner.

The books nominated for each award have to fit that Award's specific criteria, and then it is up to the personal opinion of the judges who try, but do not always succeed, to reach a consensus.

Thanks Meg, does the award granter pick out who he wants to judge the entries?

Warning - this post might turn into a stream of consciousness. Booker prize here I come ;)

A very apt question as with this period, I think of as award season with booker international, women's prize, republic of conscience prize (who decided on joint winners this year), wellcome  prize and Dublin literary award

A lot of prizes is publishers nominating the book. The booker prize for example have rules based on previously listed books from publishers on how many they can nominate.

The Dublin literary prize has it that libraries worldwide nominate, making a sillylying long longlist(150 books roughly) meaning award is given 2 years after books were published.

Not sure what it takes for a book to win. I think topicality can be a factor. Anna burns' milkman is very good novel and I think also helped it for the booker was the current situation concerning northern ireland, brexit and border. Belladonna's success in Warwick prize for women in translation might have been influenced by judges on the rise of populism in Europe.

At the end of the day, I think it is what the 5 judges liked best. A different panel of judges may come up with a different conclusion. Elsewhere, using the longlist of the man booker international, 5 bloggers decide on their own shortlist together.

For me, when it comes to the prizes, I think it depends on what is my radar previously and what I thought of books from it that I already read. I gave up on last year's booker international prize as I had read 3 on the shortlist and liked one and disliked one and hated one (and the one I liked, I thought more a book for meditative purposes than book prize purposes) I wasn't enamoured to search out the others that made the shortlist as I didn't feel the link between my tastes and the judges tastes.

While in 2017, I thought the two I read on the shortlist were excellent, read and liked 2 more before the prize announcement and then read the last 2 afterwards because I felt with the 2 on the shortlist, that I had similar preferences to the judging panel.

I think that is the important thing, do I share the somewhat same preference of the judges

30 minutes ago, momac said:

Thanks Meg, does the award granter pick out who he wants to judge the entries?

For the booker prize, there is the advisory committee that then select the judges. The sponsor has a representative on the advisor committee but the prize is administered by a trust

The advisory committee is listed at the bottom of this press release

https://themanbookerprize.com/resources/media/pressreleases/judges-announced-2019-man-booker-international-prize

Thanks iff for the link, interesting how it is all set up.