Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

I  read The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, and posted a review, back in 2008 but, like many threads from back then, it was wiped out in one of the Crashes we experienced around that time.I can only recall the barest details, so I hope that others who have read this book will come along and fill in more details and correct anything that i have misremembered.

Jimmy Blacksmith was half Australian Aboriginal and half white European. Because of his light skin he had greater access to European life than most, and came under the care of a Methodist minister and under his influence developed hopes of a future as a farmer married to a white girl.

He did marry a white girl, but the realisation that his children would only be 1/2 aboriginal, and his grandchildren 1/8 , and that he was not really accepted by either race led to embitterment and a final horrific act of violence.

A grim, but worthwhile,  read, and I was so sad for Jimmy, who was swept away by the strength of his despair.

I understand that this story was based on the life of a real person.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MisterHobgoblin
      Austin North is an English teacher, determined to make poetry relevant to his pupils. He is under no illusions that he could have been a poet himself – he knows he could have had the same experiences as the great WWI poets and written nothing more profound than a postcard home. But he still loves his subject and wants to share that love with the kids.

Blackberries is a strange story about cultural values and expectations. Austin is well used to resisting improper relationships; he is happy at home and seems to be competent at work. Yet there’s something missing. Maybe it’s not composing poetry or the bombs or the pathos – but Austin still seems to want something more, some kind of adventure. To an extent, he seems to have found this in his friendship with David Malwai, a South Sudanese migrant. He also finds himself captivated by a new student, a teenage South Sudanese girl who seems to have a gift for distance running. After years of following the straight and narrow, Austin seems to open his eyes to new possibilities.

There is an underlying theme of cultural differences. Austin represents old Australia and the South Sudanese represent new Australia. How far should the new go to assimilate with the old? At the same time, Austin raises the issue of the young Aboriginal people, many of whom have issues with crime and substance abuse. Of course, the European migrants to Australia did not look to assimilate with the Aborigines. Now there is a debate about whether Aboriginal people should be expected to assimilate with the European migrants. Why should they, they ask, given that they were there first and so are not the problem.

It’s a complex little story that doesn’t present easy answers or glib truisms. Instead, it leaves us considering their own attitudes and, in all probability, recognising some of the contradictions in our own minds.   *****
    • By lucyb
      I have just started reading this book and wondered if anyone was in the same position and wanted to discuss it.

To paraphrase the blurb on the back:

Oskar Schindler was a womaniser, a heavy drinker and a bon viveur who became a saviour. He risked his life to protect Jews in Nazi-occupied Germany and was transformed by the war into a man with a mission, a compassionate angel of mercy.

Started it this morning and getting sucked in. Only problem is I have to go to work... roll on lunchtime!