Sean Jackson is celebrating his fiftieth birthday with his friends, family, drugs and alcohol. His first wife has dumped his teenage twin daughters, Mills and India, on him for the weekend and his second wife won’t babysit his new toddler twin daughters, Coco and Ruby for him so that he can have a hedonistic weekend with his hedonistic best friends. Quite frankly, a collection of truly horrid people. Then little Coco goes missing. 

Fast forward a number of years and Sean, on his fourth wife, has suffered a massive heart attack. His friends and remaining family members gather for his funeral. Milla meets up with Ruby to take her to the funeral, after not being in contact for many years. Ruby asks “what happened to Coco?” And so, in alternating chapters between the birthday weekend and now, the funeral, we find out what happened to Coco. 

This is absolutely kept me reading to find out what happened to Coco, though the characters at the birthday party are truly awful people and Sean, the man at the center of everything, is a truly awful person. Claire, his second wife and mother to Coco, is nicely portrayed, first as the materialistic, selfish, gold digging socialite then as a mother, desperately sad and misunderstood by a group of narcissistic people. 

And interestingly, this is one of those books where not everything is settled by the end. Which I enjoyed immensely.