Rowling's crime series about Cormoran Strike and Robin is a oddity to me. Not particularly graphic, set in world's that I find quite dry and populist, they don't immediately scream my kind of reading. However, the writing and the plotting is excellent and the relationship between Cormoran and Robin is completely gripping. Cormoran's morose, laconic dialogue is at times amusing - he is a great character. The books are a solid staple - you know you are going to get a good read.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Viccie
      This is the third in Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling)'s series featuring Cormoan Strike, her one legged ex-soldier private detective, and his assistant Robyn.  The story open with Robyn being sent a severed leg which Strike reckons must come from one of four men, all of whom have reason to want revenge on him, and all of whom are capable of getting at him through Robyn.

Quite a few scenes are written from the point of view of the murderer and can be pretty disturbing, he is deeply twisted, for him women don't really exist, he refers to the woman he lives with as It, they are the means to an end (torturing Strike) or the source of immediate gratification. There's much more violence than in the two previous books but unlike some reviews I've read of the book I don't think it's overdone.

Like the rest of the series this is an excellent page turner, if a little too long, the author could do with a good editor especially where Robyn and Matthew's relationship is concerned, there are some plot weaknesses that become apparent after you've finished the book but as before the charecterisation is great and I enjoyed it.
    • By Viccie
      I'll admit that after all the hooha about JK's outing I was curious to know what this book was like but probably wouldn't have been curious enough to actually buy my own copy if I hadn't been so bogged down in reading a very gloomy book for my bookgroup that I felt I had to have a break and nipped into a bookshop in Bordeaux to buy another book. (I had a train journey ahead of me, not a very long one, but even so...)

Forget all the did she/didn't she stuff,  The Cuckoo's Calling is actually a very readable book, not quite as wonderful as the glowing hyperbole of some of its most ardent supporters would suggest, but it's good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who enjoys not too violent detective fiction.  JK shows that she really can write, it's quite a long book but I didn't find any parts sagged and she sets up a good dynamic between Cormoran Strike and Robin, his assistant and sidekick, which bodes well for future books.

It misses out from being absolutely top-notch by the ending which is a bit weak and rushed.  Even so I'll definitely be reading the next one.