Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Reading One Book a Week Won't Make You Successful

Sorry Luna but I found the article misleading. Starts off with a statement about some people say we should read one book a day with a link to some unknown on you tube.

Lengthy part on reading to be successful and speed reading. Goes on about reading faster is great but not enjoyable?

Then at the end some common sense.

Strange article. Just don;t get it?

Edited by Clavain

6 hours ago, Clavain said:

Sorry Luna but I found the article misleading. Starts off with a statement about some people say we should read one book a day with a link to some unknown on you tube.

Lengthy part on reading to be successful and speed reading. Goes on about reading faster is great but not enjoyable?

Then at the end some common sense.

Strange article. Just don;t get it?

The article is about the pitfalls of speed reading and states that human beings can't actually speed read.  If the reader skims text then they are not taking in the information properly.  The article states that the reader is better off reading at their own pace and that it's not about how many books the reader can read in a specified time but the enjoyment the reader gets from the hobby.

If you are someone who has swallowed the idea that they 'should' read a book a day, and that saying this is impossible won't cut it because they should be speed reading, then this article will be helpful.  I really hope most of us aren't in that position!  I agree that when I skim-read I'm not taking everything in, but nonetheless I find it very helpful.  This is because I belong to a book group, and a lot of the books chosen (at least half) are books I don't particularly enjoy and wouldn't read if it weren't for the group.  I usually leave them until the meeting is 48 hours away, at which point urgency persuades me to skim-read the thing and get it over with.  We then have an excellent discussion in which I explain exactly why I didn't like it, and those who liked it explain why they did.  If by skim-reading I've missed something, they explain this to me.  This makes an excellent discussion.  In the few cases when we all think the book is wonderful, we often find we have very little to say.

Very interesting indeed Heather I hadn't thought of that.  

What touched me about the article was the confirmation that it's not necessary to read very quickly.  I've been guilty of page counting and dividing by number of days to see if I can get the book read to keep my yearly total up and this article brought it home to me that it's not that important to be fast.  There are just so many books and not enough time ……….