Clavain

Review of 2018

At the end of 2018 would love to hear your highs of the year.

After much consideration I must give my book of the year to Eleanor Oliphant by Gail Honeyman - a book that appeals to all ages and genders.

My favourite TV series was Killing Eve which you can still watch ( voted top by most critics). https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06kbg8t/killing-eve-series-1-1-nice-face

My favourite film was Black Panther and I'm not normally a super hero movie fan.

My favourite album was Low - Double Negative. Always loved them but took me awhile

I always struggle to name even my book of the year let alone my favourite book of all time and having reviewed my year's reading I still can't.

Favourite TV series was A Discovery of Witches, then again it's hard to separate this from The City and The City.

Didn't watch much in the way of films this year but I loved The Queen of Spades (very old black and white film on TV)

Didn't listen to any albums this year either, only various tracks here and there but if pushed I'd have to say John Cooper Clarke's The Luckiest Man Alive on CD - if performance poetry can be counted as an album 

My embarrassing and disastrous attempts at reading anything  - three books finished and three (I think) started and abandoned - gave me just one 4* book, a Rose Tremain.

That,  in past years, would be no surprise, except that Evangelista's Fan is a collection of short stories, which has  been a form that I have not ever enjoyed before. 

I think I will now explore the short story as a possible route back into reading more regularly - you never know, I might work my way back up to tackling Stroyar's The Children's War trilogy at some point!

Favourite audiobook was The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

Favourite TV drama - difficult to remember what I watched over the whole year, but  A Very British Scandal stands out, as do two recent ones, Bodyguard and Mrs Wilson.

I'm not a movie-goer, and tend generally only to listen to music when they are playing listeners favourites on ClassicFM, so have no current favourite album  

My stand out book of the year is Trio by Sue Gee though I read a lot of good books.

I can't really remember much stand out TV  though like Meg I really enjoyed A Very British Scandal.

I'm trying to think of which films I've seen in the cinema but apart from The Book Group and Bohemian Rhapsody my mind's gone blank - we did rewatch our never-to-be-deleted recording of Casablanca. It's still wonderful!

I rediscovered The Proclaimers so have lots of good car music.

My stand out book was Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (non-fiction).  

I binge-watched "The Man in the High Castle" and am in the middle of binge-watching "The Americans."  Both were great.  There are other ones I started and haven't finished that are very good (including "A Very British Scandal," "My Brilliant Friend," and the show based on Patrick Melrose novels).  I will report on them later.

I didn't see many movies this year, but thought "Bad Times at the El Royale" was terrific.  I went with my son and we had a long discussion afterwards about which character was the most evil and which was the most moral.  Lots of competition in the first category.

I generally only discover songs and my tastes in music aren't very sophisticated, so I won't put an entry for music.

Book - Ham on Rye.

TV - Orange is the new black (binge-watched the whole thing).

Movie - Bros: After the screaming stops (unintentially hilarious) or Avengers Infinity war (lot of fun with a genuinely dark ending).

books - fiction

my favourite book of the year was sorry to disrupt the pace by patty yumi Cottrella darkly comic book and an absorbing read. 

The other two contenders are belladonna by dasa drndic and brother in ice by Alicia kopf.

books - nonfiction

the gender games by Juno Dawson, funny part autobiography, part political treatise. I loved reading

album

My favourite was from dream wife. Riotous feminist rock. Other album highlights were Susanna, wyvern lingo (impressive soulful r&b tinged indie pop from Ireland), first aid kit, the spook school and she makes war.

live gig

Susanna in September was hauntingly beautiful, just a really great show. The cello, violin, accordion were perfect accompaniment to Susanna's majestic voice

Belle & Sebastian in march was another live highlight and British sea power while dream wife in October was very enjoyable.

songs

bratt by Haley

Uh huh by jade bird

Trick of the light by villagers

Shallow by lady gaga from a star is born

tv series - comedy

"It doesn't need to be funny, it just needs to end after 30 minutes"

It seems as episodes rightly puts it, the main determinant of what is a comedy and isn't.

Though there were some highlights, episodes final series was one as was Derry girls, both genuinely laugh out loud funny as did Atlanta do so.

tv series - drama

A harder topic here, sharp objects was a slow ticker but each episode unwind it a bit and at the end, this was really good.

Mr robot season 3 was superb, hopefully will get to see season 4 soon

A disappointment is I have a brilliant friend recorded but need to get watching, the first episode though was brilliant.

tv series - documentaries

Dynasties - is there any doubt?

film

Lady bird, coco and phantom thread were both very enjoyable and a fantastic woman was brilliant.

Glenn close gave a great performance in the wife

sporting event of 2018

2 great sporting moments this year and surprisingly neither are cycling related

In February, Philadelphia eagles taking the Superbowl in a very very nail biting match. The rest of the day I had just gone on adrenaline with the delight

The other was limerick taking the all Ireland hurling championship in august for the first time in my life 

Edited by iff

The best book that I read this year was - On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

I haven't been to the cinema this year.

My favourite tv series was - Doctor Who

My favourite album was - Dove by Belly

The best concert I went to was - Belly at The Leadmill, Sheffield.

Favourite Book: The All Souls Trilogy  by Deborah Harkness was the stand out for me, and of that trilogy Book 3 -  'The Book of Life' was my favourite.

Favourite TV Series:  Drama: Patrick Melrose on Sky  Documentary: Making a Murderer on Netflix

but I also enjoyed Bodyguard, and A Very English Scandal, both on terrestrial telly and The Staircase on Netflix

Favourite Film: Hmm... this is hard as I don't really watch that many films nowadays (because all they seem to make are remakes of what has already been done) and of those I have seen many were released in previous years and I have only just got around to seeing them when they are released on DVD but for me the two standout films I have seen this year (as I really can't choose between them) are: Darkest Hour with Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill and They Shall Not Grow Old, the film made of the old First World War footage and digitally colourised and restored and sound put to it and interviews with WW1 veterans added, that has to be the most mesmerising things I have ever seen.

Favourite Album: Firepower by Judas Priest

Favourite Song: Will the Sun Ever Rise by Five Finger Death Punch from their 2018 album And Justice for None

Edited by Apple

Not many favourites really, haven't decided on the book yet  - nothing outstanding I'm afraid - didn't go to the cinema and my favourite TV series was The Bridge.

My favourite book: Orlando by Virginia Woolf.

My favourite film: The Happy Prince.  Written & directed by and starring Rupert Everett. 

My favourite TV series: Patrick Melrose.  Also: Season 6 of Elementary -- which I'm still working my way through!

I didn't listen to much music last year.  Some Richard Thompson, that's about it.

The best (new) game that I played was The Room 3, on PC.  Glorious puzzles!

I've decided that my favourite book of 2018 was Winston Graham's "The Miller's Dance" (number 9 in the series), followed by Susanna Kearsley's "The Shadowy Horses", my top 10 is on my reading blog.

Favourite book: A re-read of Philip Roth's The Plot Against America for my rl book group. What was once a fanciful idea of the USA turning right wing, even fascist,  during the second world war turns out ot be a prophetic work of genius in the light of recent events. Brilliantly written.

Favourite TV series: Joint top, Patrick Melrose (I watched it on DVD) and Killing Eve. Fantastic.

Favourite Film: Roma. Ohmygosh, the best film I've seen since Manchester By The Sea. You can catch it on Netflix now, but if you can get to a cinema it's even better.