Sign in to follow this  
Viccie

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

This is a very strange book - probably made even stranger for me as I bought it as a special deal for my Kobo knowing that it was on my wish list but having forgotten anything about it so I started reading with no preconceptions whatsoever.  It starts with a man waking up in a dripping wood, he's given a compass by a stranger and sees a woman being pursued and shot at. All he knows is that she's called Anna. He findsout eventually that he's called Aiden Bishop but he isn't in his own body and he's told by a masked stranger that a murder, which won't look like a murder will be committed today and that he has eight chances to solve it.  The next day he wakes up in a different body and it's murder day again.  And the next day... If he solves the mystery he will escape this loop in time but , there's two others also borrowing bodies in attempts to be the ones to win their freedom, a pyscopathic footman who is trying to kill all the host bodies, the mysterious Anna and a whome mlot of other twists thrown into the pot.

It's time travel crossed with Groundhog Day crossed with Agatha Christie crossed with (your choice) and I found it completely compelling. I love very complex books with a myriad of turns and don't mind being hopelessly lost in places but I felt that it slightly lost its way near the end. I put it down thinkig it was one of the most dazzling books I've read in along time, but then I started to wonder if it isn't just a bit too dazzling and emperor's new clothesish. I'm still out on that one but I'd love to read this for a book group and find out what other people think.

I just downloaded it and will check in when I'm done.  I"m in the middle of one book and my pre-ordered Ian Ranking just appeared on my tablet (my favorite thing about pre-ordering), so It might be a little while.

I've downloaded and read the first chapter. Must admit read a review that advised buying sticky notes before reading.

A few chapters in and I keep muttering 'this is weird'.

I read at the weekend that   it's in for a  first

novel award.

On 09/01/2019 at 21:21, chuntzy said:

A few chapters in and I keep muttering 'this is weird'.

I read at the weekend that   it's in for a  first

novel award.

It's very weird!  That's why I'm still in two mibds about it. Still a book that makes you think isn't half bad...

I couldn't finish this. I was bored witless. Sorry Viccie!

Not bored but very confused. Have abandoned but I'm sure I will return when I have the patience and bought some post - its.

10 hours ago, Clavain said:

Not bored but very confused. Have abandoned but I'm sure I will return when I have the patience and bought some post - its.

The post-its are an excellent idea!

Ooooooh!  I wasn't really that interested in this book but if it's complicated then I am interested.  I just love to struggle with my reading (does that make me a bad person?)

Complexity not  a problem in itself  but  allied to a boring narrative is a no-go fotr me. Now where's that Kafka......

I have just finished this and I found it dazzling.  Like Viccie, I thought that it lost it's way slightly at the end but other than that it was outstanding.  I didn't think that it was that complicated but then I read it in three days so I had the time to read a lot of it all at once and I think that's the key to keeping up with all the twists.  Would love to see this filmed!

I had the same problem at the end and felt that the strong hand of a good editor would have helped.  That being said, I really enjoyed reading it and recommended it to a friend who loves time travel.  Were I to have read it for a class or something, I would have had to prepare charts and such.  As it was, I got along pretty well most of the time and just didn't worry about trying to tie all of it together.  Even the main character has trouble holding it all together.  In fact, one of the things I liked the best about this book is that his actual personality almost gets swallowed up by the people he inhabits and their memories and feelings clog his brain.