Sign in to follow this  
iff

My Brilliant Friend

I saw as for the adaptation of this very good book series advertised for sky Atlantic this morning.

Starts on sky on 19th November :)

Did anyone watch this?  I did and I really enjoyed it.  It is very consistent with what I remember of the book and the two main characters are much as I imagined them.  It's all in Italian, with subtitles, which doesn't bother me at all, but it does mean that you have to just sit and watch, at which I do not excel.  I'm looking forward to watching the entire series, even if it is the week before Thanksgiving and therefore an incredibly busy time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By iff
      Did anyone watch this series, adaptation of the Gilliam Flynn novel.

I hadn't read the novel beforehand (or any thing by Gilliam Flynn) but I found it to be a very enthralling series.

Amy Adams, Patricia clarkson, Chris Messina all did great jobs.

• By Viccie
      It seems that everyone has been talking about My Brilliant Friend , the story of two girls growing up in a poverty stricken Neopolitan district in the years after the war.  Lenu, the narrator, is hard-working and conscientious, her friend Lila is brilliantly clever, a star who dazzles first Lenu and then half the neighbourhood, but seems in this book, the first of a quadrology (if that's the word!) to be destined for disappointment and frustration. 

As much as a tale of the bond between the two girls it's also a story of the neighbourhood, their neighbours, the changing life in the years after the war, the casual violence which seems to permutate the way everyone acts - tellingly in one scene it's shown that the better off don't behave that way, how fast everyne had to grow up.

I found it uttterly absorbing, it's rare that a hyped book lives up to its promise but I hardly moved for several hours reading this on Boxing Day.I was completely drawn into Lenu's world,(which is so densely populated that I had to refer to the the list of characters at the front several times to place certain peple, but that didn't worry me), and love the way she describe a neighbourhood that is so completely different to anything I know with such economy of detail.  It's not a particularly easy read, you have to concentrate, but it's a very rewarding one.  Recommended.