Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

The Luckiest Guy Alive

I shouldn't be the one to write a review of John Cooper Clarke's work because i) I'm not qualified and ii) I'm totally biased.  However, since it's been 30 years since the man has published any work I thought that he deserved a mention.

There are some 40 pieces here all with their own merit.  As is usual with JCC the poetry is never one style - there are haiku in this collection too - but it's always clever, witty and extremely observant.

I've only read the poems once so can't really comment on individual rhymes.

He is at his best when listened to, of course, he is a performance poet, and there is a CD available of his new work, he is also on tour - best experienced live.  This, however, is very entertaining.

Naturally beauty is in the eye of the beholder so this is subject to your personal taste.  The best way I can think of to describe JCC to someone who is not familiar is  : he is to performance poetry what Billy Connolly was to stand up comedy, brilliant, funny, irreverent and he can be profane and offensive (depending on what you consider offensive)

Of course I wholly recommend this.