I expected this to be a history of the suffragette movement and it was.  I did, however, look forward to finding out more about the character and personality of Mrs Pankhurst and in that I was disappointed.  Despite the fact that the book was called My Story there was very little personal information on the lady herself.  I did, however, learn a great deal about the suffragette movement and just how determined these women were and what they were prepared to endure - and endure they did.  Mrs Pankhurst lead from the front and was jailed often, during the later confinements she took up hunger striking and thirst striking (a new one on me) and made herself very ill indeed in the process.

I found the tone of the prose to be more factual than autobiographical, Mrs Pankhurst wrote well but without passion, even when her sister died after a hunger strike.

The book ends in 1914 when WWI is declared but Mrs Pankhurst is sure that the next government will grant women the vote.

I learned a great deal about the movement and their tactics and I also learned the relationship between a broken window and protest.  Ghandi, however, did show that peaceful protest worked too but I suppose that would come later.

I'd recommend this book but it does take a bit of getting used to.  The cover above is inserted because this book inspired the film.