lunababymoonchild

High Voltage, the Life of Angus Young

This is the biography of Angus Young, lead guitarist and co-founder of AC/DC.  AC/DC are one of the best rock 'n roll bands ever and have had an eventful career of 40 years, most of which I am old enough to remember.  It started with Angus and his older brother Malcolm, originally from Glasgow but emigrating to Australia with the whole family when they were children, and involved pretty much the whole family over their career.

This book is well written and well researched and tells the reader everything they need to know about the charismatic and talented lead guitarist and the band he formed with his older brother.  The tragic bits - and there are a few - are told in the same matter of fact way that the rest of the events are told.  

I have always been a fan but not the sort who had to know everything as soon as it happened, as a result of which most of the contents of the book were new to me.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and read it fairly quickly.

I'd recommend this to the curious but am aware that the die-hard fans will probably already know the freely available information and aware that I might be the only one on this board that likes the band.

Malcolm Young, co-founder of the band died 10 days ago and he and Angus wrote the soundtrack to my life

On 28/11/2017 at 19:19, lunababymoonchild said:

I might be the only one on this board that likes the band.

Luna, you are NOT alone!!!  One of the best "riff" rock bands ever IMHO.  Highway To Hell is just one song that is guaranteed to have me "Dad Air-Guitaring" around the kitchen, but just about anything of theirs would do the job.  RIP Malcolm.

Wouldn't exactly say they had been the soundtrack to my life, other musicians/bands probably fill that role better for me, but with a longevity like theirs they have certainly been around for most of it.  Perhaps like yourself I seem to feel the loss of musicians more than just about any other losses as music has always been such a major part of my life.  Never played it (except the clarinet exceptionally badly at the age of 12) but always listening to it and experiencing it.

16 minutes ago, Ragamuffin Gunner said:

Luna, you are NOT alone!!!  One of the best "riff" rock bands ever IMHO.  Highway To Hell is just one song that is guaranteed to have me "Dad Air-Guitaring" around the kitchen, but just about anything of theirs would do the job.  RIP Malcolm.

Wouldn't exactly say they had been the soundtrack to my life, other musicians/bands probably fill that role better for me, but with a longevity like theirs they have certainly been around for most of it.  Perhaps like yourself I seem to feel the loss of musicians more than just about any other losses as music has always been such a major part of my life.  Never played it (except the clarinet exceptionally badly at the age of 12) but always listening to it and experiencing it.

Hooray!  

While I don't listen to AC/DC very much nowadays, they were definitely the soundtrack to my late teens to late 20s! I was saddened to hear that Malcolm had passed away. But I almost never read celebrity bios, so I'll give Angus's a pass.