Sign in to follow this  
momac

Let Not The Deep

This novel is about a Merchant Marine ship, the Caledonia, which is carrying a  cargo of steel plates in its hold.There are also twenty-six young schoolboys on a educational trip, one boy is the son of the British Prime Minister.

They are caught in the Atlantic just off the coast of England by the Hurricane Fiona.  The waves are so strong that the fuel in the tanks gets swirled around and some debris from the bottom gets caught up in the intake to the engines, shutting them down leaving the ship at the mercy of the storm.  Now without the power to steer the ship is at the mercy of the waves and the wind and as it gets tossed around the steel cargo breaks loose from some of its chains and pierces the hull and the ship starts taking on water.  An SOS for assistance goes out and the lifeboat station at Falmouth answers the call.

The story from here is an 'edge of your seat' tale.  A Sea King helicopter races to help and gets to the sinking ship but itself runs into trouble and has to limp its way to another ship standing by which has a helipad.  The lifeboat meanwhile is making its way to the 'casualty' - lifeboat speak for the ship in distress.  

This is is one of these stories where there is just one almost disaster after another but it is so well told that it keeps the reader needing to know how it all turns out.  

I hadn't read anything by this author before and all the information about how the Lifeboats operate is really interesting - there was a BBC series I used to watch some years ago and it was  well done.  Anyone who likes suspenseful sea stories would enjoy this book.

I'm glad you have found this book so interesting and informative about the lifeboat service, I have become far more conscious of how dangerous the sea and cliffs are, and the work of the coastguard and lifeboats since moving to the channel coast, and feel anxious whenever I hear a helicopter flying up and down the length of the cliffs. 

There is currently a series called Saving Lives at Sea, being shown on BBC2 about the incredibly dangerous work done by the men & women of the lifeboat service - almost all volunteers. It is a second series, so you may well have seen the first.

I don't know if you can access his series over there, but it it is often real heart-in-the mouth stuff, and the crews are all so caring and kind - even to people who have foolishly got themselves into the most dangerous situations that threaten their own lives and those of the lifeboat crews.

I wish we could get the series you mentioned Meg, sometimes we get them later on PBS. I really enjoyed the series that I did watch years ago - very brave men in the Lifeboat Association, can't remember the initials, Royal Lifeboat.........

When you hear the helicopter patrolling, especially if the sea looks rough, it will set you to wondering about someone in trouble in their boat.  

In the Scilly Isles area there are many hazards for shipping apparently some miles off Lands End.  I found the book interesting as it had lots of information I wouldn't otherwise know about.

5 hours ago, momac said:

very brave men in the Lifeboat Association, can't remember the initials, Royal Lifeboat.........

RNLI - The Royal National Lifeboat Institution