Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

Fierce Kingdom

This book is totally going to get made into a film, I could see it in my head as I was reading. Lincoln, 4, and his mother, Joan,  visit the zoo one day. It's a normal, happy day as they wander about. But just before closing as they make their way back to the entrance all hell breaks loose. Gun men have taken over the zoo and seem to be playing a game of hunting with whatever they find. Joan must hide herself and Lincoln lest they become the hunted.

It's an exciting read that you could easily lose yourself in for a couple of hours and finish it in one sitting. Phillips does a great job of ramping up the tension, especially as the authorities and Joan's husband are just over the zoo wall trying to resolve the situation without further deaths while she battles to save herself and her son. Fun read - would make a good movie.

Sounds terrific - exactly the sort of thing I invest in if I'm about to do a really long car journey (Bordeaux-London for instance, takes 15 hours in all) as good audio thrillers are the best thing for keeping you alert.

It's very fast paced and just flies by, easily read in one sitting, and actually that's probably the best way to enjoy it.