Sign in to follow this  
BookishThings

Identity / Coming of Age / Friendship YA - Right Handed Lefty

Hi all, 

I recently read Right Handed Lefty by Ryan Coughlin and wondered if any of you have also read it? Would be great to discuss it! 

Its themes are similar To Kill a Mockingbird, for example, identity, coming of age, a struggle of morals and doing the right thing, friendship etc. 

It's set in 1983 Wisconsin with a protagonist every teenager can relate to - Ellis Sayre is a black orphan adopted by two people who had suffered the loss of their own child. He grows up unsure of his identity and unsure of himself as a result. His tale is one of finding his feet in a world that makes him feel like an outcast. 

Fortunately, he has a really great friendship with his two best friends, George and Mason - both good guys that are loyal and would do anything for a friend. In fact, while out stealing stale bread for a friend, the boys witness a murder and, after running to the station to find that no one believes them, they have to go on the run. 

It's a really great YA novel because it balances the typical YA themes of self-discovery and friendships with much bigger issues such as race, identity and this huge quick-paced, thrilling plot of avoiding danger and feeling like their lives are on the line. 

I think it would be cool to talk about some of the questions I got out of reading it such as how far would you go for friendship? How long does it take to find yourself? Do you have to go out of the ordinary to find yourself? 

Let me know your thoughts if you have read it! If you haven't, I'd definitely recommend it. Find it here