Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hazel

Frank Quitely at Kelvingrove

3 posts in this topic

Hubby and I went to the Frank Quitely exhibition at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery today. Quitely is a Glaswegian comic book artist who has worked with many writers and collaborators and has done work on Batman, Superman, X-Men, Jupiters Legacy and so on. Obviously I am a comic book fan but I don't tend to read Superhero comics, so while I had heard of Quitely I wasn't a huge fan. But a comic book exhibition is definitely something I'd go to and I wasn't disappointed - it is one of the best things Kelvingrove has ever shown. It takes about 90 minutes to go round and look/read everything properly. It includes pencils doodlings, penicil layouts, pen and ink layouts of all the great comics Quitely has worked on. There are a few videos to watch featuring people like Mark Millar, Grant Morrison and the great Chip Kidd. You were allowed to take photos so I filled my phone of some the best works - usually ones that feature Quitely's stunning use of perspective and foreshortening. Christopher Reeve's actual Superman cape is exhibited too. And I added a few comic book titles to my wishlist.

In addition to Quitely's archives, there is the odd exhibit from other artists such as Daniel Clowes, Chip Kidd - even Bob Kane. It is well worth a visit, even if you don't especially like comic books because the art will just blow you away and there is something really special about seeing those pencil marks become something great.

My friend went to this with her husband and kids; they are all into this, the youngest one especially. She said it was fabulous. Not my area, but it came highly recommended by, in her own words, a "fangirl".

To be honest, I think everyone would enjoy it, comic book fan or not. The art itself is stunning and there really is quite something to see the original sketches.