I bought this from a charity bookstall a while back. As I had previously read a couple of Georgette Heyer's crime novels and enjoyed them I thought this might put me back into the habit of reading.

I took it on holiday, and indeed I did read some of it every day, but another book might have been a better choice for enjoyment.

It is one of those classic period crime novels, very much in the style of Agatha Christie. However, unlike in an Agatha Christie  I found the clues easy to pick up, and when it came to the final chapter there was little that I had not already figured out, so it seemed to be a long while actually getting to the end.

It starts with an elderly man (the butler) being found shot in a car on a lonely country road, next to which is standing a distressed young woman with a loaded, but unused, gun in her pocket. The arrogant young man who comes across this scene is a  barrister who likes doing a bit of private sleuthing on the side. He seems to believe the girl's story that she had found the victim already shot, and when reporting the body to the police he omits to mention her presence.

There follows a convoluted story, with a good number of suspects and it isn't such a bad plot. Being written & set in the 1930s it has some very un-PC attitudes, and apart from the heroine (yes, the girl by the car) and a quietly astute elderly woman, the characters are fairly stereotypical of the period - and of course, there is a romantic declaration at the end.

Not a bad read of its type, but I think I have lost my enthusiasm for the type.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lunababymoonchild
      This number 40 in a series of 75.

The book is relatively short, some 192 pages long and the prose is superb. 

Maigret's revolver is stolen and then Maigret is slowly drawn into a case that doesn't appear to have anything to do with said disappearance.  There is no physical description of Maigret in this book - as I expected - but his facial expressions, descriptions of what he is wearing, his habits and of his surroundings render this unneccessary.  As Maigret investigates, the story slowly unfolds.  There is enough here to keep the reader interested and also to keep the reader guessing until the very end.  The descriptions of Paris are lovely and London, where the story also unfolds, fares very well too.

In spite of the fact that this is a story clearly set in the past (no mobile phones etc) it doens't feel dated at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed  this and will read more.

Highly recommended.
    • By steven1995uk
      Hello,

I would like to tell you about my crime novel series called 'Herbie Fox Stories'.

The story is situated on Hawaii in the 1940s and it's based on a senior detective called 'Herbie Fox'.

The next book is finished already and will be released on the 9th of November (its name is 'The Mystery of Bloody River'. Until this date, the price of the ebook is set to 2.99 dollars on Amazon. After this day, it'll be available for 4.99.

I'll be more than happy to discuss with you about my book and I really hope you'll enjoy it in case you decide to buy it!

Have a nice day, everybody! 
    • By Cassie
      It's been a while since a read any of Roger Ellory's books. In a way I'm being sparing with them as I'm almost afraid of catching up with the latest! I've read seven out of twelve so I think I'm safe for the present. A Simple Act of Violence I found really absorbing, it's the first book for quite some time that has really kept me wanting to pick up my book and read. Luckily it's been holiday time and I was free to do just that. This starts out as a murder case in Washington D.C. in fact we get in, very close up to the initial crime and from there on we become embroiled in what could be a serial killer on the loose or perhaps there is something far more sinister underlying what Detectives Millar and Roth are uncovering. I love Ellory's skill at combining fiction with historical fact, he does it so well I keep asking myself why didn't I pay more attention when this was newsworthy!! Thank goodness for the internet.
    • By MisterHobgoblin

There's a kind of death row genre. Person with attitude problem imprisoned on death row, nearing the end. New, idealistic lawyer turns up and uncovers evidence that proves the prisoner's innocence. In the process, lawyer works through some of his personal demons and probably uncovers an enormous conspiracy. Freed prisoner and lawyer have an emotional scene on the courthouse steps. The reader is left feeling that they have been beaten around the head by a wet tea-towel bearing the words "abolish capital punishment". Wrapped around a truncheon.

The Execution of Noa P Singleton lines up as a me-too product. In this case, the slight quirks are (i) Noa is female; (ii) Noa is intelligent. In common with most prisoners in death row genre novels, but unlike most real-life death row prisoners, Noa is white. This allows Noa to have a shattered American Dream viewpoint, articulating the tribulations of incarceration as though she is the first person to ever undergo the experience. 

For all that, the story is well told and Noa's voice works well in drip-feeding information to the reader as she plays mind-games with the lawyer and the charitable organisation that is funding him. The novel does build up tension and the frequent segue from past to present works well. As we discover Noa has had a colourful past and seems to have resisted the many opportunities that life has given her. The reader feels for her; feels frustration as she makes wrong choices. At the same time, the illustration of social injustice is broadly well done although, at times, there is a tendency to slip into stereotypes. There is also a dependence on some pretty unlikely situations and some reactions, especially from Noa, that do stretch credulity.

The Execution of Noa P Singleton is not a bad read, but it's nothing terribly special either. Does it follow the trajectory of the death row genre novel? You'll have to read it to find out...
    • By megustaleer
      The title of this post is the phrase I heard when I switched on the radio yesterday morning. I had turned on in the middle of a discussion of the regency romances of .Georgette Heyer .

The programme continued with an interview with Margaret Drabble, who is a Heyer fan, and who commended the depth and accuracy of Heyer's historical research, as well as recommending the books for the romance, Byronic sex, comedy and narrative style.

Like Ms Drabble, and the interviewer, I devoured Georgette Heyer's books in my teens, not at that time knowing nor caring about the historical accuracy, nor recognising the games she played with themes from Austen and Shakespeare, just enjoying the romance and comedy, and wallowing in the Georgian atmosphere.

The reason for the item on the radio was, of course, to plug the re-issuing of 3dozen of the stories. I still have my original copies from the early sixties, but recommend the new editions to a new generation!