Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hux

Techniques For Editing?

5 posts in this topic

I'm currently in the process of editing my first attempt at a novel.

I've read it out loud and edited, read in the voice of a specific narrator (I chose Alan Bennett) and edited and now I'm currently reading it in book mode which has also been very helpful.

Reading it out load and in the voice of Alan Bennett resulted in seeing what needed to be added. Reading it book mode resulted in me cutting out quite a lot (the word count massively dropped).

Any other editing techniques/advice?

Edited by hux

Get it to people whose opinions you value to read. And encourage them to be honest...

Yeah, I've already got a beta reader which has also been very helpful (though she takes her sweet bloody time).

I read somewhere that you should listen to their criticisms but ignore their advice on how to rectify the problems (which I definitely agree with).

Edited by hux

On 28.3.2017 at 21:58, tagesmann said:

Get it to people whose opinions you value to read. And encourage them to be honest...

I agree, but to add on to that, i would get people i have no close relations with. I feel like if we give such things to the people who truly care about us i.e partner, relatives..they are less likely to be completely honest.

Put the manuscript in a completely different font - preferably one you find quite ugly, and in a larger size than you usually use. It stops that blindness all writers have when reading their own work - you know what you wanted to write and don't always see when you haven't quite succeeded. Mistakes and awkward phrasing seem to leap out