Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minxminnie

New site for Spring 2017!

33 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Tay said:

Given that we have the Amazon link would there be some way for the computer wizards to have some link attached to the book's title that takes us straight to it in Amazon? I'm sure Amazon would be happy with this as it has the potential of increasing sales. 

Perhaps even the linking of names/passwords so that we go straight into our own account in Amazon? Though some may feel there might be a security risk? Maybe Amazon would want too much from us to facilitate the link? 

I stay logged into Amazon, and when I click on the Amazon banner in BGO, I go to my own homepage, logged in and ready to buy. 

When writing a review, the reviewer could easily put a BGO Amazon hyperlink to the book, if they knew how and could be bothered. I remember that some people used to put a thumbnail of the book cover back in the early days of the site, but people do this less now. If the person writing the review doesn't do this, I don't think there's any way of making it appear automatically. 

I think the answer to your problem, Tay, is to stay logged into Amazon on your device. Then, clicking on the banner should take you to your own Amazon homepage, though you'll probably still have the hassle of looking up the book unless there was a hyperlink. Does this help?

I stay logged into Amazon, and when I click on the Amazon banner in BGO, I go to my own homepage, logged in and ready to buy

Me too.

There is the worry that having the Amazon hyperlink attached to the book titles would make it far too easy to impulse buy books (and we never do that, do we?:naughty: ) - at least we get a couple of moments reconsidering time as it stands ;)

9 hours ago, Minxminnie said:

I stay logged into Amazon, and when I click on the Amazon banner in BGO, I go to my own homepage, logged in and ready to buy. 

When writing a review, the reviewer could easily put a BGO Amazon hyperlink to the book, if they knew how and could be bothered. I remember that some people used to put a thumbnail of the book cover back in the early days of the site, but people do this less now. If the person writing the review doesn't do this, I don't think there's any way of making it appear automatically. 

I think the answer to your problem, Tay, is to stay logged into Amazon on your device. Then, clicking on the banner should take you to your own Amazon homepage, though you'll probably still have the hassle of looking up the book unless there was a hyperlink. Does this help?

Thanks MM but I'm an old fashioned person who likes to log off sites :-) 

18 minutes ago, Tay said:

Ok - in that case, I don't think there would be a way of BGO logging you in. Unless anyone else knows differently!

11 hours ago, Tay said:

Given that we have the Amazon link would there be some way for the computer wizards to have some link attached to the book's title that takes us straight to it in Amazon? I'm sure Amazon would be happy with this as it has the potential of increasing sales. 

Perhaps even the linking of names/passwords so that we go straight into our own account in Amazon? Though some may feel there might be a security risk? Maybe Amazon would want too much from us to facilitate the link? 

Be good if we could have a general discussion on it with a final decision by the MOD's. 

I'm not sure how clever the tools we have are.  It's worth investigating...

27 minutes ago, Tay said:

Logging off from sites is extra secure but only necessary if you are worried about your PC being stolen and someone being able to log on to it (i.e. knowing your password).  But trusting this site with your Amazon account would provide the same level of (in)security - unless there was some extra level of encryption.

14 hours ago, tagesmann said:

I'm not sure how clever the tools we have are.  It's worth investigating...

Logging off from sites is extra secure but only necessary if you are worried about your PC being stolen and someone being able to log on to it (i.e. knowing your password).  But trusting this site with your Amazon account would provide the same level of (in)security - unless there was some extra level of encryption.

Thanks Tag, was just a thought. I'll stick to my old fashioned ways of logging off. As I use different computers it is for me a good habit to have. 

I've just looked at the new site on my work mobile (iPhone 6 using Opera browser) and the Amazon adverts don't rescale.  Anyone else have this?

I do not know whehter it is a feature of the old one but one thing I do like is when it comes to tags on a topic you started, you don't have to go in to edit it to add tags but instead there is a plus sign you can click to put in tags instead.

nice feature.