Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minxminnie

New site for Spring 2017!

32 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Minxminnie said:

Any hints and tips for the new site? Anything you don't know how to do any more? Any problems?

@Minxminnie I have lost the friends that I had in my profile on the previous site.  Which is fair enough but the first friend I had was David and I do mind losing that.

Yep, the upgrade (which needed to be done) gets rid of friends and replaces it with followers. Stuart gave me the option to convert friends to followers but that came with a risk of receiving unwanted notifications and he didn't recommend it, so I went with his advice.

Blimey, it's all rather new isn't it. Us Taureans hate change!

But public thanks to Stuart for getting us all shiny! X

Us old folks hate change, too.

Since Christmas I've been trying to get used to:

The new computer, new printer, new camera and the stupid thing** to get iPlayer & other stuff on my TV - which I can't work at all, in spite of getting a new WiFi router which needed the house re-organising to get any broadband connection. Ravelry, the internet forum I use almost as much as BGO, had an update last week - and now this!  

It's just too much change for my little brain to cope with in such a short time span!

** think it might be Amazon Prime, but can't be bothered to go to the sitting room to check - even if I could remember how to switch it on.

:grumble: :confused: :cry::confused: :grumble:

Starting to get the hang of things after the initial bewilderment but feeling rather uncomfortable with it.

Mr HG and I are working through some of the default settings.
We've found the setting that changes tags to lower case and have turned that off.

I've also changed the return key action so it moves the the next line rather than starting a new paragraph.

On 3/25/2017 at 19:41, megustaleer said:

Us old folks hate change, too.

Since Christmas I've been trying to get used to:

The new computer, new printer, new camera and the stupid thing** to get iPlayer & other stuff on my TV - which I can't work at all, in spite of getting a new WiFi router which needed the house re-organising to get any broadband connection. Ravelry, the internet forum I use almost as much as BGO, had an update last week - and now this!  

It's just too much change for my little brain to cope with in such a short time span!

** think it might be Amazon Prime, but can't be bothered to go to the sitting room to check - even if I could remember how to switch it on.

:grumble: :confused: :cry::confused: :grumble:

I found that I couldn't see where the "sign out" function was last time I was on the forum so just exited impolitely, will have another look around this time to see if I can spot it. :(

10 minutes ago, momac said:

I found that I couldn't see where the "sign out" function was last time I was on the forum so just exited impolitely, will have another look around this time to see if I can spot it. :(

I never sign out.  It's really not necessary Mo, just close the tab or browser.

But if you still want to, it's on the drop down against your name.

No, I never sign out either, but no-one else ever uses my computer.

It has given me problems in the past, because occasionally I find some system or another has 'signed me out' out of various websites, and I can't remember my user names or passwords to get back in.

Now I've got them ones for here firmly fixed - megustaleer has embedded itself by being in my face on every post I've made on BGO for the past 12 years, and my password because it relates specifically to my user name. 

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I always sign out of everything, I feel it's more secure

I don't sign out of any site.  Banks time you out anyway,

And I let my browser remember may passwords for everything except my banks and paypal.

The site wouldn't let me make a post. I couldn't quote, nor edit, nor reply. It wouldn't give me a place to sign in or out, and wouldn't let me access my account info. I signed in from my sweetheart's phone so I could write this, and it let me do that. Weirdest of all the site on my phone had Tagesman's avatar for Lunababymoonchild! I am going to try to access the site from my phone by typing in the address, instead of just clicking the icon. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

So I tried typing in the address and it took me to the site, and let me sign in. But I still can't post. I can navigate from thread to thread, but I can't do anything. And it still has Tag's avatar for Luna.  I tried resetting network settings, but that didn't help. I'm just going to shut down my phone and try it again tomorrow. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! But this is only on my phone. On my sweethearts's phone I can use the site as usual. Very strange!

Edited by Dan
Addendum

I tried just restarting, and then a hard restart, but still no go. Then I disabled cookies and cleared the browser history. Then I got the site properly, but I had to re enable cookies to sign in. Did that and it seems ok now. Any ideas on what actually happened?

Not had anyone else report such strange goings-on. Hope it's fixed for you now, and that no-one else's phone does that to us!

Everything seems fine today. It started when I was using a weakening wi-fi signal, but I have no idea if that is what corrupted the link. 

I suspect your browser Dan.  I've experienced something similar in the past, but not here.  Sometimes your browser will remember when a site doesn't work and continue to report the error even when the sites is back up.  Flushing the history or cache fixes it.  This isn't the same but close enough..

Anyway, hopefully it's all good now.

8 minutes ago, tagesmann said:

I suspect your browser Dan.  I've experienced something similar in the past, but not here.  Sometimes your browser will remember when a site doesn't work and continue to report the error even when the sites is back up.  Flushing the history or cache fixes it.  This isn't the same but close enough..

Anyway, hopefully it's all good now.

I suspect you are correct

Is it possible your computer was directing you to an old cache of the site, before the update was done? I have no idea what I am talking about! But I am glad you are back Dan. It's taking me some getting used to this new site.

Not too sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes. Whilst reading a review by Mr HG I wanted to add the book to my Amazon wish list. So I then had to go into Amazon, sign in and find the book and then add to the wish list. I know, first world problems, but if we have technologies that can make things easier/quicker..................

Given that we have the Amazon link would there be some way for the computer wizards to have some link attached to the book's title that takes us straight to it in Amazon? I'm sure Amazon would be happy with this as it has the potential of increasing sales. 

Perhaps even the linking of names/passwords so that we go straight into our own account in Amazon? Though some may feel there might be a security risk? Maybe Amazon would want too much from us to facilitate the link? 

Be good if we could have a general discussion on it with a final decision by the MOD's.