Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tay

Haruki Murakami
A Wild Sheep Chase

2 posts in this topic

Murakami’s third novel continues the story of the Rat, a character that featured in the first and second novel. The Rat is once again not the main character, more a catalyst for the exploration of mystery the unnamed narrator is sent on. Apart from the Rat I don’t think anyone is named in the novel. Even the narrator’s girlfriend is just talked about as she etc.

As always Murakami heads down avenues of thought that on the surface seem commonplace but with just enough twist to make the tale seem surreal. I always come away from a Murakami book with more questions than answers and perhaps that’s another reason why I love them. They don’t explain everything. Life is mostly an unresolved wander to death and Murakami seems to reflect that in his writing.

This novel seems to be the beginning of his interest (obsession?) with religion and cults. Having read some of his later novels I can now see the germinating seeds of thought in this novel. The story flowed easily as good tales of travel and mystery do, possibly making this a good place to start if you want to explore the other horizons found in Murakami’s work. Also even though it is the third in the Rat trilogy you don’t need to have read the first two to follow this story.  

http://www.murakamibooks.co.uk/books/info/?t=A-Wild-Sheep-Chase#reviewsbox-5

Thank you for reminding me of this book, Tay! This was my first foray into Murikami, many years ago. He has a sort of judo knack for using my own reading momentum to flip me on my head. One of my favorite writers.