Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Nathaniel's Nutmeg : How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History

I have just finished this book and I'm a little disappointed.

First of all, the Nathanial of the title gets mentioned a few times but his story proper doesn't get told until page 270 of a 373 page book and when it does he doesn't suffer, much less achieve anything more or less than any of the other men killed in the course of the spice trade.

Second, torture is described in detail in this book and I feel that this should be mentioned somewhere on the cover, just in case someone doesn't particularly want to read that type of thing.

That said this is a well written history of the spice trade and war with the Dutch.  I enjoyed the book overall but as mentioned I am somewhat confused by the title and I would have liked to have been warned about the graphic descriptions of torture (there is also a drawing of it!).

I would not recommend this book because of the misleading title and the graphic description of torture, which turned out to be totally unnecessary.

I did start a thread on this, many years ago. It got lost when our previous web-host shut us down - but as all I said was that I had given up on it about 1/3 of the way through, it was no loss

At that time I used to read to the end of my books, even if i wasn't enjoying them - Nathaniel's Nutmeg was an exception!

I bought it because one of my sons is named Nathaniel, and because there had been a number of enjoyable biographical books published in the previous couple of years (eg The Surgeon of Crowthorne, and Longitude) and I mistakenly thought this was going to be f the same ilk.

Is this the right forum? Is it not a biography - even if Nathaniel's story doesn't get told until the last 100 or so pages ?

Done.

Thank you, Binker

I did start a thread on this, many years ago. It got lost when our previous web-host shut us down - but as all I said was that I had given up on it about 1/3 of the way through, it was no loss

At that time I used to read to the end of my books, even if i wasn't enjoying them - Nathaniel's Nutmeg was an exception!

I bought it because one of my sons is named Nathaniel, and because there had been a number of enjoyable biographical books published in the previous couple of years (eg The Surgeon of Crowthorne, and Longitude) and I mistakenly thought this was going to be f the same ilk.

Is this the right forum? Is it not a biography - even if Nathaniel's story doesn't get told until the last 100 or so pages ?

I put it here because as far as I'm concerned it's a history of the spice trade. Nathaniel is mentioned but only what he did in relation to the spice trade, there are no details about the rest of his life.

Thank you, Binker

I put it here because as far as I'm concerned it's a history of the spice trade. Nathaniel is mentioned but only what he did in relation to the spice trade, there are no details about the rest of his life.

You are the better judge of the correct genre, having completed it   :)