• Similar Content

• By Romanike
      This time, I have not discussed J.R.R.Tolkien's books but Asimov's. "From Robots to Foundations" gives the most detailed timeline from the beginning of spaceflight to the era of the two Foundations that can be compiled from all the novels by Isaac Asimov which are set in the Trantor Universe: the Robot Series, the Empire Series and the Foundation Series, as well as "Nemesis" and a couple of short stories. Entries are generally documented and referenced by the relevant book and chapter.

With an illustrated encyclopedia of all the stars and worlds in Asimov's Galaxy.

Print edition here: https://www.createspace.com/4809102 (an Amazon service)
      Ebook edition here: https://www.xinxii.com/from-robots-to-fo…s-p-352797.html (not yet available via Amazon but soon)
    • By waawo
      George Platen is just like all the other Earth children - he is programmed to read overnight at eight years old and expects to be programmed with the knowledge and skills needed to pursue a profession aged eighteen. But something goes wrong: questions are raised at the earlier session, and aged eighteen, George is told that he can't be given any profession and is sent to an institution for the "feeble minded", a ward of the planet. George however does not accept the diagnosis, and will not rest until he learns the truth about how Earth's education system works.

I hadn't read any Asimov for many years before picking up this very short novel, but it seems instantly familiar - there's just something about the writing and the ideas that has me nodding and thinking, "Yes, that's just what would happen." Like all the best science fiction, it uses impossible ideas to shine a light on what currently happens: it's easy to draw parallels between the "instant" education of this world and the test and results driven educational landscape we have (in the West at least) today. And are free-thinkers in our world better or worse served than George?
    • By Diruo
      I was a little surprised to find there was no topic about I, Robot.
      If I am mistaken and overlooked an existing thread, I apologise!

I saw my brother about 2 weeks ago, and he dropped a book into my lap. A well thumbed copy of I, Robot that is older then I am.
      After the first page I was hooked.

Because it was written in short story format (each chapter was published seperately over about 10 years), it is easy to read each section on its own. However, the way they link together to show the progression of technology and the acceptance of Robot kind makes it difficult to put down. I found I was always wanting to know what would happen next, where would the next adventure take me.

I was pleased to find that the book was nothing like the film (which I wasn't so keen on). The film is based very loosely around the final short story.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable book.
      The only disappointing thing about it was closing it after the last page!
      Has anyone else read this book, and what did you think of it?