Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minxminnie

Michael Simkins
The Rules of Acting

8 posts in this topic

This is a great lighthearted look at the life of a jobbing actor. Michael Simkins is a veteran of TV and the stage, though not a household name. He sets this out as advice for anyone joining the profession, but it works just as well as a nosey at the life of an actor for anyone who enjoys theatre or TV drama. It has lots of entertaining anecdotes about his own and others' experiences and a nice self deprecating sense of humour.

Thank you, Mm! My sweetheart loves memoir type books and this one sounds entertaining. I'll have to try and find it for her.

It's not quite a memoir, Dan - he really does present it as a manual for actors, though it does use his own and others' experiences, and if you like theatre, it's very satisfying. For example, it explained what it's like doing a long run of a play, or being an understudy. It's just not really a biography.

Thanks Mm. The closest library that had a copy is 2300 miles away in Toronto and they wouldn't loan it to my library anyway.

Edited by Dan

Dan, on Amazon.ca The Rules of Acting sells for $9.46 paperback or .98cents hardcover - probably available too on Amazon.com - they also advertise that new or used copies are available.  Don't know if this is of any use to you.

Thanks for the info Momac and Luna!

Haven't read this, although it is on my wishlist and sounds very appealing. Simkins' cricketing book Fatty Batter is cut from a similar cloth and would, I think, appeal even to people who don't know which end of a bat to hold.