5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hazel

Hazel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,500 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

Increasingly this world seems to grow nastier and snipier. I don't care if that's not a word. BGO has always been a place where we are nice to each other, polite and respectful. Sometimes a little argument can be fun and interesting but not when it descends to something beyond that. There is enough ugliness in the world, it doesn't need to be here. In a world where social media seems to cause all sorts of horrible problems, I have always thought of everything BGO has brought to my life; friends, recommendations, interesting chat and great kindness in times of need. Let's keep it that way. Who cares if we are idealistic? Who cares if notions of niceness and kindness are increasingly outdated? Who cares? We do. BGO.

So, let's play nice. Let's be kind. Let's have an end to sniping, nastiness and seeking out members to piss off.

Be kind. Be respectful. Don't feed trolls.

Back to books. Peace out.

#2 OFFLINE   Minxminnie

Minxminnie

• Moderators
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:15 PM

I agree, Hazel.
Whenever people tell me what a nasty place social media can be, I think of BGO and the efforts everyone makes to respect and value what others say, even when they disagree. That's what makes BGO special. We need to work together to keep it that way.

#3 OFFLINE   Clavain

Clavain

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationNottingham England
  • Current Book:The North Water by Ian McGuire

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:05 AM

Surely if people disagree they can debate?

“Act your age, not your shoe size … Factio vestri aevum, non vestri calceus amplitudo.”   Paul Beatty, The Sellout

#4 OFFLINE   lunababymoonchild

lunababymoonchild

Ast, Moon Goddess

• Subscribers
  • 4,879 posts
  • Current Book:Something interesting and stimulating

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

I'm not fond of these general announcements.

IMHO, If there is a problem with certain members then contact said members, the rest of the members who do behave don't need reminding because they are behaving in a courteous manner.

#5 OFFLINE   megustaleer

megustaleer

• Moderators
  • 11,186 posts
  • LocationSussex by the Sea

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:17 AM

Debating is good - we like a lively debate. What is not good is when it gets personal, and the poster gets attacked rather than the subject under discussion.

Luna,  we would prefer not to have to make general announcements, but sometimes people get carried away and overstep the bounds of courtesy.  A general post gives such a person, and anyone tempted to answer in kind, a chance to think again.

We don't like to police BGO in too heavy-handed a manner, but we do watch the tone of a debate and will take action if ill-mannered  posters don't apply any such general announcement to themselves

#6 OFFLINE   Hazel

Hazel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,500 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

Absolutely and that's why I said that argument was fine and interesting, personal attacks or singling out is not.

Luna- the was a timely reminder to all, myself included as I can often be the most hot-headed person on the board. We don't have the need to have these reminders often thankfully, and I can't remember the last time, but in these especially confrontational times around the globe, it is worth reminding everyone why BGO is a place of solace. We are not in the business of telling people off.

Now, I am going to close this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users