Dan

Flatland; A romance of many dimensions

I've seen this book quoted many times, in books on subjects ranging from social and political commentary, perception, perspective and relativity, to mysticism and non-duality, so when I saw it at a book sale for $.50 I decided it was time to read it. It is a geometric fable of other dimensions told in two parts: The first is a description of Flatland and is chockablock with satire and social criticism; Part two entails the narrator's, (who is a square), discoveries concerning Pointland, Lineland and Space, and is highly allegorical and philosophical. I would say that people will get out of this book exactly as much as they put into it. There is a cornucopia of food for thought here. Not sure if I was hungry enough. But it is only 82 pages long and I'm glad I spent a couple hours with it. 4Stars

Edited by Dan

Currently reading this and enjoying it.  Not far into it but my copy is 138 pages long.  There is a lot within this book to get my teeth into and as a result I'm not reading it as fast as I would prefer but I'm glad that it has come to my attention and I'm happy to spend the time on it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying this, Luna. Gave me very abstract dreams too!

I was describing what happens in Flatland - only some 30 odd pages to go now - to my father who is always interested in what I read and he thinks that I'm insane!  He always thinks that I'm insane but cannot, for the life of him, understand why I'd want to read such a book.  For myself, I LOVE it. 

The argument the narrator (who is a square) has with the King of Pointland is hilarious.  And the square has roughly the same type of argument with a sphere who visits him from Space/Land of Three Dimensions. That is, about another dimension and is equally funny because the sphere can no more convince the square of another dimension than the square could convince the King that there was another dimension.

I had never heard of this book before so I'm glad that you brought it to my attention Dan.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Finished! It finished in a totally different way to the one I expected. Great.

It really is a unique book. And it works on so many different levels. I'm curious as to whether you found it to be misogynistic, or a satire of misogyny? I went back and forth, but decided to view it as satirical in all ways.

It really is a unique book. And it works on so many different levels. I'm curious as to whether you found it to be misogynistic, or a satire of misogyny? I went back and forth, but decided to view it as satirical in all ways.

I took it as satirical in every way. 

I really did love this and intend to re-read it at some point.  There is a film called the same thing on Youtube, which I'll be having a look at soon.

I read it thanks to reviews posted here. I really liked it, I took the misogyny and a lot of it as a satire on the rigidity of the class system at the time.