Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gjb

Any funny books?

9 posts in this topic

I have many books on my shelves and on my Kindle but not one comedy. I've been looking for months now and cannot find a single, funny. laugh-out-loud, bawdy, modern comedy. Can any one recommend one? and I mean funny, with humorous situations and actual jokes. I don't want satire or fun. I've read Tom Sharpe and Terry Pratchett(both many decades ago). Also, while I don't object to bad language, dialogue full of four letter words and no jokes is not funny!

Many thanks in advance,

Garry

Have you looked down in the Reference 7 humour forum?

Admittedly nothing has been posted there for a while, but you might find something to take your fancy.

Anyone read any of Nigel Williams books? They seem a promising beginning to finding genuinely funny books.

Sorry to reopen this old thread but I have to say after 2 years of searching I have not found a funny book! There has not been a single comedy written in the English language.

9 hours ago, gjb said:

Sorry to reopen this old thread but I have to say after 2 years of searching I have not found a funny book! There has not been a single comedy written in the English language.

Are there TV shows or movies you find funny? Can you give us examples? I think the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books, especially the first 3, are very funny. Bill Bryson is a hoot, and David Sedaris is a hoot and a half! Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid books are very funny. Or, a blast from the past, what about Pg Wodehouse?

I've read Hitchhikers and some Tom Sharpe and Terry Pratchett though many years ago now and they were very funny at times. I am looking for a  modern comedy something to make me laugh out loud. Too much to ask? Thanks for your suggestions I'll look them up.

Jasper fforde is very funny - but it's not modern comedy as such. I thught both A Man Called Ove and My Grandmother Sends her Regards by Frederik Blackman were very funny, though whimsical. There are some very funny travel writers, Some of Tim Moore for instance.

16 hours ago, gjb said:

after 2 years of searching I have not found a funny book! There has not been a single comedy written in the English language.

What you mean is that there has not been a single book  in the English language so far that you have found funny. Humour is very subjective and you may have a unique sense of humour.

I personally found Mark Wallington's The Missing Postman very funny, also Nigel Williams' The Wimbledon Poisoner and several of  Tom Sharpe's books.  Jasper Fforde\s books have appealed to a number of BGO members over the years, but you do have to be on his wavelength to appreciate them, it took me a while.

If you have not found a funny book, what do you find funny in other areas?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have a look at them. I have read funny fiction in the past(Adams. Sharpe etc) but have not been able to find any thing more modern. Keep looking I suppose.