Dan

Pavlov's Trout: the incompleat psychology of everyday fishing

Pavlov's Trout: the incompleat psychology of everyday fishing, by Paul Quinnett, is a very fun book. It covers the gamut of psychological ideas with a very light touch, and connects it all to the sport of fishing. It didn't seem as profound(though it was just as entertaining) as it did when I read it 22 years ago while caring for my mother as she battled leukemia, but possibly that is because the inoculation of these ideas is now fully engrained. But it probably holds little appeal for non-fisherfolk as evidenced by my non-fishing sweetheart growing bored with it after 40 pages or so because she didn't get all the fishing allusions. But if you enjoy fishing and thoughtful discussion about how we live our lives then I'm sure you will enjoy this book. Paul Quinnett , at the time of the book'swriting, had already spent 25 years as a mental health professional, counseling in the fields of substance abuse and suicide prevention, and the man knows whereof he speaks.

Our eldest son, Donald, who died in August, would have been really interested in this book, he was always looking for something to read that was of interest to him and although we as a family used to try fishing in the Fraser River for salmon, we never were really into it.  He watched the fishing shows on the weekend on telly and sometimes went ice fishing with a friend in the winter when Lake Simcoe froze.  He was very much a thinker and would have enjoyed Pavlov`s Trout.

So sorry for your loss, Momac! That must have been a hard and painful experience for you. Hope you have made a relative peace with it now.