Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whipsy48

TV Series

65 posts in this topic

Sorry :(

Currently my viewing is homeland and billions as my big two dramas. I need to catch up on catastrophe on all4 with that starting again.

RG and I are watching Homeland which we record and watch when RG gets an early finish as I need to be wide awake to watch it. We have watched it from the very beginning and still really enjoy it. On Netflix we are also watching House of Cards which is very clever.

Mr RS  has no time for fiction, he'd much rather watch a documentary on some dead civilisation, or somewhere scenic.

I love a good mystery or crime drama, but he manages to make me feel as though I am banning him from the sitting room as he won't sit through anything remotely unpleasant, whereas I will sit and knit through most of his preferred programmes without paying them much attention (which annoys him as he wants to talk to me about what's on screen )

Anyway, that is just to explain why i don't watch many of the popular drama series   -  it would mean driving him out of the sitting room on a specific evening for several weeks on the trot!

I have recently banished him to the tiny TV in the spare room for Unforgotten, and currently for the third series of Broadchurch. I didn't like the second series at all, but can't resist the pull of Julie Hesmondhaigh, and Lenny Henry added to the David Tennant and Olivia Colman duo. 

Did anyone watch the 6 part police drama The Level?
I understand that part of the first episode was filmed on the cliffs at the bottom of our road - missed it, of course, as we only had the one TV working at the time it was broadcast, and it was not to Mr meg's taste.

We missed The Level I am afraid Meg but have recorded Broadchurch. I think that most people preferred the first series to the second but then it did have quite a bit to live up to. We will probably stockpile a few episodes and watch them back to back. I tend to forget details if I watch a series on a weekly basis!! That is one of the great things about watching a series on Netflix. No waiting a week for the next episode. After the last episode of Homeland it is a shame that it is not on Netflix. The end of the last episode did leave us hanging somewhat!

I never watched Mad Men when it came out despite the widespread accolades, it just didn't seem like my kind of thing. There is no blood spilled after all. But I recently started watching it (Netflix has 7 seasons!) and I am really enjoying it. It's the polar opposite to anything I do like but I find myself swept up in the social history of it. It's deeply uncomfortable watching how poorly women are treated in the early 60s and how the men really had it all. For instance watching Donald Draper (the main character) have countless affairs yet scold his wife for wearing a bikini. Or Peggy, on her first day at the ad office, being told to wear shorter skirts because the men seeing legs and her taking this wisdom as if it is solemn career advice.

Does/did anyone watch it?

1 hour ago, Hazel said:

I never watched Mad Men when it came out despite the widespread accolades, it just didn't seem like my kind of thing. There is no blood spilled after all. But I recently started watching it (Netflix has 7 seasons!) and I am really enjoying it. It's the polar opposite to anything I do like but I find myself swept up in the social history of it. It's deeply uncomfortable watching how poorly women are treated in the early 60s and how the men really had it all. For instance watching Donald Draper (the main character) have countless affairs yet scold his wife for wearing a bikini. Or Peggy, on her first day at the ad office, being told to wear shorter skirts because the men seeing legs and her taking this wisdom as if it is solemn career advice.

Does/did anyone watch it?

Hazel, I have also just started watching it! I'm only a few episodes in but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Is anyone apart from me watching Line of Duty? It's the season finale tonight and I am genuinely excited. TV rarely has this effect on me.

I watched Mad Men when it was on BBC4 but was forced to stop when Sky snapped it up. We are trialling Netflix in our new house and Mad Men is among the grown up viewing. Unfortunately, Edgar has just been introduced to Power Rangers via Netflix, so the two of us are even less likely to get regular access to the TV than we were before...

I am on ep 10, season 2 - it's really good, really well written. I suppose the topic itself would be quite dull and formulaic if it weren't for the period it's set in. And honestly, the fashion is amazing.

22 hours ago, Minxminnie said:

Hazel, I have also just started watching it! I'm only a few episodes in but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Is anyone apart from me watching Line of Duty? It's the season finale tonight and I am genuinely excited. TV rarely has this effect on me.

i watched it for the first time this season and i thought it was a very good series

6 hours ago, Hazel said:

I am on ep 10, season 2 - it's really good, really well written. I suppose the topic itself would be quite dull and formulaic if it weren't for the period it's set in. And honestly, the fashion is amazing.

i did watch a couple of seasons of mad men, maybe 3. it was ok but it became one of these shows that i would watch if the series hppened to be showing at a convenient time for watching it, then something i wanted to catch up on

Finished Stranger Things on Netflix. Almost finished Gilmore Girls and half way through the new MST3K.

At the minute I am watching too much TV. There is the second series of Mr. Robot, new series of new girl, Brooklyn nine nine, new girl, Veep, silicon valley, second season of billions is nearly over, i started both the last kingdom, spin on more4, there is also hell on wheels final season on rte2 and also the trip to Spain is also on as is new episodes of modern family. I think that is too much.

It's eating into my book time :mad: 

15 hours ago, iff said:

At the minute I am watching too much TV. There is the second series of Mr. Robot, new series of new girl, Brooklyn nine nine, new girl, Veep, silicon valley, second season of billions is nearly over, i started both the last kingdom, spin on more4, there is also hell on wheels final season on rte2 and also the trip to Spain is also on as is new episodes of modern family. I think that is too much.

It's eating into my book time :mad: 

I used to like Modern Family but a couple of the story lines recently ( last couple of series) didn't sit well with me. One of them was when the older daughter was given a car for her birthday and they took her out for a drink before giving her the car! And then at the start of current series there was character they visited at his office and he was throwing things out of his window at a cat sitting on his car. Then there was the sound as if the cat had been hit by the thrown object and cried out in pain. I don't think either of these subjects treated in this way are right in a family show. If they'd shown that both were morally and legally wrong then fair enough bad things happen, but they didn't. Really spoiled the programme for me.

We are watching:  

"The Magicians" (2nd season, just waiting for the last episode, based, more or less, on the books by Lev Grossman, which I've read and enjoyed),

"Fargo" (which has been excellent during the last 2 seasons and already has my favorite phrase of the year:  "unfathomable pinheadery")(2 episodes in),

"American Gods," based on the Neil Gaiman book, which I also really enjoyed (first episode only, but very good!).  

American Gods is very good - the second episode is fantastic Binker.

I think I will watch the second episode tonight.  Thanks for the recommendation.  

On 4/30/2017 at 19:00, Minxminnie said:

Never missed a minute of this latest series (and the previous ones) and couldn't wait for the finale of this one.  Jed Mercurio is brilliant at keeping us on tenterhooks and am glad he's writing another one..