Sign in to follow this  
Binker

The String Diaries

I read a review of this book somewhere and decided it sounded pretty good.  As has happened several times this year, I didn't realize that it was horror until I started it, but unlike NOS4A2, which I found so scary that I had to stop reading it (pathetic, I know), I persevered to the end because it was good and engrossing.

When you meet the main character, Hannah, she and her husband and daughter are fleeing...something...in terror.  You gradually learn what they are fleeing, through hearing their story, the story of her parents, and the story of previous generations of her family in Hungary.  At first, you don't know what's going on and it's scary because you don't know if the people you meet are good or bad and sometimes ones who seem to be one are really the other.  There's a lot of tension and it doesn't really dissipate.

I actually thought this book was very good and was perfect for a vacation--long and un-put-downable. My only real complaint is that I thought as I was reading it that it would be a great movie that I wouldn't want to see it because it would be so gory.  Fortunately, I can read gore better than I can watch it, so I made my way through the book without a problem.  

I have already recommended it to Hazel, but I don't know if she has read it.

I've now read the sequel, Written in the Blood, and enjoyed it at least as much as the first book.  It takes place 15 years after the action in the first book, giving Hannah's daughter time to grow up and encounter her own problems.  If you like this sort of thing at all, these are both excellent reads.

I've just finished The String Diaries and read the last 50 pages or so not looking up, not speaking, not responding when anyone tried to talk to me. I was initially put off because it's classified as horror and I'm not keen on horror but I'd put in equally in the fantasy camp. Whichever one it's a really good read.

Viccie, I'm happy you enjoyed it, but not surprised because our tastes are often similar.  LS, I hope you read and enjoy it.