Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minxminnie

John green
Paper Towns

7 posts in this topic

Don't read this if you are over 18. Like Catcher in the Rye, it probably seems terribly profound when you are that age: it just seemed like a story about a whingeing, pretentious, self-obsessed teenager to me.

Quentin is in love with his neighbour and childhood friend Margo, although they are no longer close. One night, out of the blue, she demands he takes her around the neighbourhood to exact elaborate revenge on various people connected to her boyfriend having two-timed her. Of course, they don't get caught and don't end up with a police record, which in real life might have opened his eyes to this ridiculous child.

The next day, she doesn't show up at school, and it all gets a bit preposterous. Despite being a generally well-balanced teenager, Quentin decides Margo has left clues in door hinges and highlighted poems, and wants him to find her. It culminates in a ridiculous road trip from Orlando to New York, missing high school graduation, just because he thinks he has worked out where she is.

He and his friends find her, and it turns out that she has run away just because she couldn't stand home any more. Boo hoo. Like all other teenagers love it. She clearly thinks she is blessed with unique insight into the frustrations of teenage life. 

They kiss, then ... oh, I had long stopped caring. I would have liked to slap her, and tell him to grow up. 

I skim read the last third. I might give John Green a miss from now on.

Oh dear. I fancied this after reading Fault, but definitely not now. Though I take issue with not reading Catcher after you are a teen - I think it gets better with age!

I have now taken this off of my TBR list.

Maybe you would both like it ...!  :dunno:

Doesn't sound like it. I still might try Looking for Alaska, though.

(My first post to this forum, and it couldn't have been a better book for my first post!)
I liked the humor in this, as well as all of John Green's books, he has a very unique humor that is perfect for us teens.
I loved the ending. It shows us that even if we put in effort, the outcome isn't necessarily going to be what you'd like it to be. 
Also, I really liked the road trip. :P

Doesn't sound like it. I still might try Looking for Alaska, though.

I loved Looking for Alaska! It had raw emotion in it, and I loved that quality, as well as the subtle humor in it.