David

New Site Problems - Post them Here

It is an absolute given that we'll have glitches and problems with the new site - remember what a feat it was to upgrade us from our ancient old state!  There will be some things we just can't fix, I suspect, but we'll look at everything.

If you notice something which seems to be a real problem post it here.

Only one real bug so far: I don't see an 'edit' option on old posts. So I can edit posts I've made since the switchover no problem; but not posts made before the switch. This isn't a problem for the vast majority of posts of course, but my posts in the 2013 Booklists thread and 'Hmm that might be interesting' thread are often edited.

I'm aware that this of course might be 'a feature, not a bug'! And also that there's a fairly simple workaround, ie. to copy the relevant posts and paste them into a new, post switchover post...

Only one real bug so far: I don't see an 'edit' option on old posts. So I can edit posts I've made since the switchover no problem; but not posts made before the switch. This isn't a problem for the vast majority of posts of course, but my posts in the 2013 Booklists thread and 'Hmm that might be interesting' thread are often edited.

I'm aware that this of course might be 'a feature, not a bug'! And also that there's a fairly simple workaround, ie. to copy the relevant posts and paste them into a new, post switchover post...

It's a setting - a default designed to stop people changing posts to tamper with discussions but obviously not helpful for booklists!  I'll change it.  Ta.

Edit: should work now.

The previous Amazon UK banner was a bit much - especially when the van starting scooting across the top of the screen - so I've replaced it with something a little smaller and less distracting.

The previous Amazon UK banner was a bit much - especially when the van starting scooting across the top of the screen - so I've replaced it with something a little smaller and less distracting.

Thank you, David.

Now,

It seems that if you leave a post halfway through writing it  to look at another site (eg fantastic fiction, or Amazon) it is not possible to return to it, but have to start again from scratch. As someone with a rapidly reducing short-term memory I'm going to find this a problem because many of my posts need small details checked and re-checked during their composition. :(

Also - not a problem, but a(nother) query: According to my profile page I have four 'friends' on BGO, Three I know about, I got notifications that I was being added to their friends list, but one is an old member - like First Phase BGO old - and hasn't logged in since 2007.

I got all excited for a moment, recognising an old name and thinking she had returned, but sadly not.

Any ideas how this happened? We didn't have 'friends' back then - or rather, in 2005 we were so few that everyone was a  friend :)

I noticed that when I went into BGO on my mobile for the first time, before I was logged in, it looked as if the whole site was an Amazon advertisement.

It seems that if you leave a post halfway through writing it  to look at another site (eg fantastic fiction, or Amazon) it is not possible to return to it, but have to start again from scratch. As someone with a rapidly reducing short-term memory I'm going to find this a problem because many of my posts need small details checked and re-checked during their composition.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that.  However, could you look at the other sites in new tabs on your browser?  Then the post remains where it was and you can check out the other sites in the new tabs.

Also - not a problem, but a(nother) query: According to my profile page I have four 'friends' on BGO, Three I know about, I got notifications that I was being added to their friends list, but one is an old member - like First Phase BGO old - and hasn't logged in since 2007.

I got all excited for a moment, recognising an old name and thinking she had returned, but sadly not.

Any ideas how this happened? We didn't have 'friends' back then - or rather, in 2005 we were so few that everyone was a  friend

I'm not sure how that happened.  I can only assume you had something set on BGO Classic - perhaps the old buddy thing?  And the new system reads it as being the equivalent.

Anyway, if you click on your personal menu (top right) and click 'Manage Friends' you can remove any you don't want.

Probably not a bug, just a change, but when I used the Amazon link this morning, it didn't open a new window, it just took me there, so I didn't have a BGO window open any more.  I do hope I'm making sense.  :unsure: And I do hope the 2 items I ordered will yield some cash for BGO!  Should be around £1.90 (but the 2 items I ordered are not actually available yet).

MFJ. It's a bit annoying isn't it?

I've also spotted a new feature. When I post a comment to a thread I only need to click back once to get back to my list of new unread posts. I keep double clicking because I had to do that on the old site.

Probably not a bug, just a change, but when I used the Amazon link this morning, it didn't open a new window, it just took me there, so I didn't have a BGO window open any more.  I do hope I'm making sense.  :unsure: And I do hope the 2 items I ordered will yield some cash for BGO!  Should be around £1.90 (but the 2 items I ordered are not actually available yet).

This took a bit of homework.  Apparently web conventions these days mean it should be left to the user to decide how they want to open a link (if you right click over it then you are given the choice to open in a new tab or window).  Because IPB wants to keep in line with conventions they've not given that option in the controls. However, I agree this is a better way of doing it so I tracked down some code to insert into Amazon's ad script and this now opens a new tab when you click.

I can't see today's orders until tomorrow.

Why is it that every one of my PMs indicate they were also sent to 1 other - Artegall?

I have no idea.  Clearly the transfer of PMs has been less smooth than most other things.  I've still got shedloads of them to clear as tons of deleted ones have reappeared.  I too have lots of 'sent to one others', though it doesn't note who.  I'd put this down to the fact that one other thing which did go wrong is I disappeared!  'David' ceased to exist in the system and all my posts went to Admin.  So my account now is that one, with a changed name.  It's why according to the system I joined yesterday!  So I thought maybe old 'David' was the one other which was confusing the system.

Anyway, it would seem not, perhaps.  I can't explain, but there's nothing I can do about that, I'm afraid.

Well I certainly shan't miss that two-tone blue... :banana:

One thing I haven't worked out... can you still do alphabetical searches in the fiction categories? On the old site, if you wanted, say, reviews of books by Barbara Pym, you could click on "20th century" and then click on P... is this no longer possible?

One other thing... isn't "Fiction of the 20th Century" rather... bizarre...? I'd definitely say "20th Century Fiction"... this may be just me being teacherish... but... any thoughts? Not that it matters... much... :grumble:

(Glad all the emoticons are still here... incl. my favourite :drive:)

Edited by jfp

Tomorrow we'll be implementing the final colour makeover and getting our old two-tone blue back for the posting areas.

Well I certainly shan't miss that two-tone blue... :banana:

Ah....

Only kidding.

;) 

One thing I haven't worked out... can you still do alphabetical searches in the fiction categories? On the old site, if you wanted, say, reviews of books by Barbara Pym, you could click on "20th century" and then click on P... is this no longer possible?

Well, those are the author indexes - you may have missed my comments about this here and there.  They were a customisation of the old board - the very thing which stopped us from updating it for all those years because it needed special work to retain them.  The modern vBulletin was so far removed from the version we had, they wouldn't even have worked on an upgraded version.

To be honest, it looked like it wouldn't be possible to save them, but our new developer thinks he might be able to build us a version that works here, using the database material from the old site - so retaining all that information.  The issue now is a final decision on whether he thinks that's possible and the price of the job.  Because this move took less time than we feared, we do have a fair bit left in the kitty which could cover it.  Or, of course, the job could be so fiendishly big that it's out of the question.

I'll keep you posted.

One other thing... isn't "Fiction of the 20th Century" rather... bizarre...? I'd definitely say "20th Century Fiction"... this may be just me being teacherish... but... any thoughts? Not that it matters... much... :grumble:

Makes little difference to me, jfp.  If no one objects I'll change it.

(Glad all the emoticons are still here... incl. my favourite :drive:)

New ones too, such as :ph34r: , :blink:  and <_<

Also, some oldies have changed.  I used to love the green laughy one, but instead we now have :D .  And as you'll have seen in the spoiler box, the wink smiley isn't quite his former self.  They're much easier to use, though, which is great.

could you look at the other sites in new tabs on your browser? 

Possibly - if I knew what you meant by 'new tabs'.

Sometimes I have 2 browsers open, but don't know about being able to look at 2 different things at the same time using one browser.

Current 'problem' - I don't seem to be able to 'bookmark' a single post. Up to now I have bookmarked all my old Booklists at the year end, but this doesn't seem possible here. I get a url for a single post I might want to go straight to, but that doesn't open a separate page, just finds its place within the whole thread. Anything I can do to get it where I can 'bookmark' it?

jfp, I've looked for an author index without success - but I am liable to miss the obvious, so they may be around somewhere.

It was something we were very keen to retain if at all possible, but it may be an added extra we will have to wait for.

jfp, I've looked for an author index without success - but I am liable to miss the obvious, so they may be around somewhere.

It was something we were very keen to retain if at all possible, but it may be an added extra we will have to wait for.

I refer you to david's reply above. Should have left it to him anyway, I know nowt, and what I did know I'll have forgotten by now

Makes little difference to me, jfp.  If no one objects I'll change it.

Yes, please change it.

Now I can post - don't know what's going on, even went on Facebook BGO to see if someone could help me, couldn't post anything anywhere and the message that came up on Facebook said my post was being considered by the Admin.  What on earth am I doing wrong? :grumble:   Even changed my preferences in case I had messed up there.  Didn't seem to make any difference but all of a sudden I'm in again.  ?????

I've "like"-ed (and appreciated...) your various responses. Almost Oops... absolutely as much fun as Facebook!

I must admit that at first it feels a bit alien... a bit like a new pair of shoes that are shinier than the comfy ones you'd given up polishing yonks ago, but a bit tight round the toes...

I look forward to investigating further. :drive:

Thanks to David and all others whose hard work and diligence have enabled all this to come to fruition! :arms: (Ooh, aren't the emoticons easy to use...)

Possibly - if I knew what you meant by 'new tabs'.

Sometimes I have 2 browsers open, but don't know about being able to look at 2 different things at the same time using one browser.

Your browser should have 'tabs' at the top, like you'd get in an old file index.  If you click on the one at the end which is just a little stub rather than having any site name in it a new tab will open, where you can visit a new site.  Then just click on the tab with BGO written on it to return to the post you were writing.

Now I can post - don't know what's going on, even went on Facebook BGO to see if someone could help me, couldn't post anything anywhere and the message that came up on Facebook said my post was being considered by the Admin.  What on earth am I doing wrong? :grumble:   Even changed my preferences in case I had messed up there.  Didn't seem to make any difference but all of a sudden I'm in again.  ?????

Momac - I have replied to you on FB - I am not sure what was going on but I am glad you've got it fixed. Every so often the FB page asks me to approve a post, randomly it seems, it may be a spam concern but I certainly don't intend to stop anyone's posts!

I'm not at all sure what the problem is, momac, but it sounds like a glitch at your end if things were going wrong on Facebook too.  My tech knowledge only goes so far, I'm afraid, so I don't know what to suggest.  Anyone else?

David,

I suppose, at a pinch (those shoes again...) it could even be "20th-Century Fiction"... with an actual hyphen... (or is that far too teacherish...?)

(It's more or less the same hyphen that differentiates "a man-eating plant" from "a man eating lettuce"... :burnout: )

Your browser should have 'tabs' at the top, like you'd get in an old file index.  If you click on the one at the end which is just a little stub rather than having any site name in it a new tab will open, where you can visit a new site.  Then just click on the tab with BGO written on it to return to the post you were writing.

Oh golly gosh! So it does.

I've never deliberately opened a new tab, but have often found whole crops of them open after I've been 'surfing' - usually when I try to shut my browser and it tells me I've got several tabs open and asks if I want to close them.

I really must try joined-up thinking.

Or thinking at all.

Thanks David

David,

I suppose, at a pinch (those shoes again...) it could even be "20th-Century Fiction"... with an actual hyphen... (or is that far too teacherish...?)

Only slightly too teacherish but nonetheless quite correct.  ;)

All changed.

(Y'know that wink just isn't right.  Longer term I'll see if I can improve on him.)