Sign in to follow this  
Wolfy

Favorite Song?

All the other threads like this are really old, so I figured i would post a new one.

What is currently your favorite song?

Currently, mine is Snuff by SlipKnot. It's just great IMO

You're at the thin end of a darned great wedge, Wolfy. 36 years ago, I was trying to work out what my all-time favourite record was, and decided to keep a list of how many times I played each recording in my collection. Over the years, that's grown into a list of 34,000 songs, and I have details of exactly how many times I've played every one in each year. I still don't know what my all-time favourite is, though...

You're at the thin end of a darned great wedge, Wolfy. 36 years ago, I was trying to work out what my all-time favourite record was, and decided to keep a list of how many times I played each recording in my collection. Over the years, that's grown into a list of 34,000 songs, and I have details of exactly how many times I've played every one in each year. I still don't know what my all-time favourite is, though...
Your devotion to the cause is second to none. :notworthy

Your devotion to the cause is second to none. :notworthy
It certainly is.

At a guess, I'd say that my all time favourite song would be Be My Friend by a band called Free but it's a tough choice.

I get obsessed about songs every so often and play them to the death, but I always come back to I Miss You by Blink 182. The best song ever. Bar none.

Mine varies as well. Most long lived favourite so far would be The Ship Song by Nick Cave

Currently Halestorm's 'A Familiar Taste of Poison' is well up there after a friend posted a link on Facebook. About 2 minutes after that I downloaded it.

Right now, I am alternating through Bubbles by Biffy Clyro, Rolex Sweep by Skepta and Dakota by the Stereophonics.

it's very tough for me to say i have a favourite song. it's the way i listen to music. i listen to full albums so they kind of link in together.

At a guess, I'd say that my all time favourite song would be Be My Friend by a band called Free but it's a tough choice.

What an excellent choice. One of my favourite bands (an easier thing to contemplate!) of all time. Their last album, Heartbreaker, is sublime - Travelin' In Style is a particular favourite.

Following on from my earlier post, the problem with keep track of my most-played recordings is that it's not an accurate way of calculating how much you like something. My most-played Free track is All Right Now, but that's partly because it appears on a fair number of albums - I have at least 4 different versions (original LP version, edited 45, live LP and 1991 re-mix) and it's charted 5 times in the UK and it's been on numerous compilations. Stilla great track, though! And it won Planet Rock's recent poll to find the greatest rock single ever.

What an excellent choice. One of my favourite bands (an easier thing to contemplate!) of all time.
Yes, favourite band is easier to contemplate and that would be my chioce too.
Their last album, Heartbreaker, is sublime - Travelin' In Style is a particular favourite.
Oh my, isn't it just.

Following on from my earlier post, the problem with keep track of my most-played recordings is that it's not an accurate way of calculating how much you like something. My most-played Free track is All Right Now, but that's partly because it appears on a fair number of albums - I have at least 4 different versions (original LP version, edited 45, live LP and 1991 re-mix) and it's charted 5 times in the UK and it's been on numerous compilations. Stilla great track, though! And it won Planet Rock's recent poll to find the greatest rock single ever.
Ah yes, I'm guilty of having multiple versions too. And they do sound different!

I'm finding Youtube very useful. They have a version of The Stealer that they claim hasn't been released, with an exteneded solo by Paul Kossoff that is just eyewatering!

Mine varies as well. Most long lived favourite so far would be The Ship Song by Nick Cave.
Fine choice, although "Into My Arms" might shade it as my favourite St. Nick ballad.

I can't even decide on a favourite band most of the time, let alone a favourite song. Best I can do is confirm 2010's finest album is "High Violet" by The National.

Thought this would be really difficult because there have been dozens that I've obsessed over for a month or a year, from 'No Time to Lose' by Tarney-Spencer Band and "Dogs" and 'Sheep' by Pink Floyd and 'Oh Well' by Fleetwood Mac to 'Power and the Passion' and 'Beds are Burning' and 'Blue Sky Mining' by Midnight Oil and 'Low Budget' and 'Superman' by the Kinks and... Sorry! Don't need to list them all. Anyway, then I thought of the one song that still gets to me, even after 30 years and thousands of plays, the one song I will absolutely not listen to only part of, or at a moderate volume; 'Last Chance' by Shooting Star. Nearly Classical composition, truly bad a** hard electric violin and lyrics that never fail to make me think about what I am doing with my day or my life. Not once, but twice, I have quit a job, just walked off in the middle of my shift, after hearing this song.

I have many favourite melodies, not really songs, but one that haunts me every time I hear it is the music from the movie The Mission, it's played by the cellist, Yo-Yo Ma.  

Edited by momac

Chopin Nocturne No 2 is a constant love, Grieg pier Gynt. Hard question and impossible to answer?

Chopin Nocturne No 2 is a constant love, Grieg pier Gynt. Hard question and impossible to answer?

Really like Chopin's music and Pier Gynt is great, so many of the classics I love but have to confess I hardly have heard any of the contemporary popular music, some songs I recognize but never caught up with the rock generation - loved the Beatles music and the songs of the 60's, flower children stuff but tuned out when the heavy metal era came in.

Just as an example, there has been a great outpouring of emotion about The Tragically Hip, a Canadian group,  and the illness of the lead singer and I had never heard them so logged on to YouTube last night to see their (farewell) concert from Kingston, Ontario.  I was baffled when I heard them as I couldn't make out what the singing was about, the band sounded o.k. much like most rock bands I guess but I wondered what it was that the thousands of people listening and loving the concert were so excited about although I wonder if it was a reminder of what they listened to years ago when they were younger and it had become a treasured memory - the couple of songs I heard didn't have any recognizable melody - mostly a beat I guess but then not being all that familiar with contemporary rock music it just had me puzzled.  I need to be able to pick out a melody for a song to stay with me.  

Clavain, you like a lot of the current music as well as classical don't you?  Maybe you can give me some pointers.

Edited by momac

My current favourite artists are:

Boris (from Tokyo)

65daysofstatic (from Sheffield)

93millionmilesfromthesun (from Doncaster)

Silver Mt. Zion [variations thereof] (from Montreal)

And today's favourite song is:

What We Loved Was Not Enough by Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra

Oh, and I can't get enough of the divine violinist Alina Ibragimova.  Her Wigmore Hall series of Beethoven's violin sonatas with Cédric Tiberghien is outstanding.

I think I'll have to check out some of your choices Tag as they are unfamiliar to me but sound interesting especially the What we Loved song.  Also love violin music and I'll have a listen to Alina Ibragimova.

Well some of my choices are contemporary - but still accessible, some are a bit "out there", and some like Alina Ibragimova are just too good for words.

Hi Tag, just listened to Alina Ibragimova playing Saint Sean's Violin Concerto #3 with the Liverpool Philharmonic, she really is a marvellous player.

Also listened to What We Loved, found that quite a different sound. I see they have quite a few songs listed on YouTube.

Found myself humming "Country Roads" - love John Denver's singing - unfortunately he is no longer with us.

I have many songs which I consider favourites, they are all songs which mean something to me for example, I have a real soft spot for Paranoid by Black Sabbath which is the first song which introduced me to that particular genre of music and one which I always now gravitate towards, I also love House of the Rising Sun and I have many different covers of it from Bob Dylans version to Five Finger Death Punch (I think I have about 5 different covers in total) all of which are stunning in their own right.  In These Arms by Bon Jovi means something to me as that is the song my husband and I picked as 'our song' when we first got together.  I'll listen to some songs which were firm favourites back in the day but they make me cringe now but others have stood the test of time.

I will find a song which I obsess about for weeks having it on constantly and at the moment that is Your Last Breath by Bevil You Know,

Got to be favourite Christmas song at the moment. 

Love Silent Night and for me seems to sound better in German.