Sign in to follow this  
Grammath

The Crossing (The Border Trilogy, Book 2)

Although "The Crossing" does not concern itself with the characters from "All The Pretty Horses", the first part of Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, it is set in the same Mexican and Texan badlands at about the same time and similarly concerns itself with a young man's rites of passage.

A wolf has been preying on the livestock at the farm where Billy Parham and his younger brother, live. Billy eventually traps the wolf and, realising that it is not from the local area but across the Mexican border, resolves to return it to its native habitat. From initial mistrust, she-wolf and boy form a bond as he guides the wolf home.

Upon return, Billy discovers his parents have been savagely murdered and their horses have been rustled from the farm. He and Boyd return across the border in search of the horses. They find the horses, but with grave consequences.

Billy is as resourceful as John Grady Cole, the protagonist in the first part of the trilogy and in the later stages of the book, his banter with his younger brother provides flashes of humour, not something for which McCarthy's work is usually noted.

Sadly this is not as fine a novel as its predecessor, which I thought superior than his recent, better known work. The book's flaw is to do with the encounters the Parhams have with many other travellers in the course of their wanderings who expound various philosophies at some length. It has to be said that, although this is a book that describes many bleak events, these are the most gruelling parts of the book to read as don't seem lead anywhere or provide either characters or readers with much food for thought. Billy learns more from his dealings with the she-wolf and harsh realities such as bandit attacks or when the wolf is captured by dog-fighters than from his fellow travellers. Some of the encounters are frankly bizarre, such as with a group of gypsies who are dragging the fuselage of an abandoned plane into Texas for a reward.

Apart from these sequences, McCarthy's language is again as stark, portentous and uncompromising as the landscape and events he describes, and this is really the novel's saving grace. As death and cruelty surround the boys, there is the tenderness of their fraternal relationship, their respect for nature, and, later in the novel, the bond Boyd forms with a young Mexican girl they meet, to provide glimmers of hope in this typcially dark, bleak novel.

Not up there with the author's best, but hopefully "Cities of the Plain", the final part of the trilogy, will bring the saga to a satisfactory conclusion.

I thought All the Pretty Horses was an amazing read and was concerned that this would not be as good because the middle book in trilogies often ends up being sort of flabby.  I needn't have worried.

The crossings refer to crossings between New Mexico and Mexico and back again.  There are 3 such journeys.  The time is at the beginning of the 20th century, when most of this land and its wild inhabitants has been tamed and controlled (a theme in Lonesome Dove, too).   It used to be necessary to hire skilled wolf trappers to protect herds of animals, but now the only one left is near death and his tools, while carefully stored, seem to be from the time of alchemy.  Nevertheless, a pregnant she-wolf from Mexico has come up into New Mexico and begun preying on the cattle herd of the Parham family and the oldest son, Billy (about 15 or 16), is determined to capture her.  He does, but then he decides to go on a quixotic journey to return her to the mountains of Mexico, from whence she came.  Things don't quite work out the way he had hoped.  Billy has heard a statement that there are 3 journeys in a man's life, one with a woman, one with a man, and one with an animal.  So this is the journey with the "woman."

When Billy returns home, he finds that his family's horses have been stolen and taken into Mexico. 

He also finds that his parents were murdered in that theft, but that his younger brother, Boyd, survived.

He and his younger brother, Boyd, decide to go to Mexico to retrieve the horses.  Boyd is an almost mythical figure.  He rides and lassos like no man anyone has ever seen and the Mexicans greatly admire him.  Again, while sort of successful, this journey does not at all turn out the way it was intended.  Boyd ends up staying in Mexico.  This is Billy's journey with a man, although Boyd is so young that he barely qualifies.  

The third journey is taken when Billy is only about 20 and he's looking to find Boyd.   He is successful, but again, not in the way he would want.  At some point, he encounters a dreadfully malformed dog, probably injured and then poorly recovered, and drives it from the shelter they share out into the rain.  It appeared as if Billy had lost all of his capacity for sympathy and mercy, but at the end, thank goodness, he recovers it.  Much good that it does the dog, which has disappeared.  This is Billy's journey with an animal.

I thought this book was just about perfect, although I know from FB that Graham disagrees.  I was enormously pleased that Billy rediscovered his mercy and it gave me hope for his future.  But what a time and place they all lived in! 

I plan to read the third book before the end of the year, but not yet.  I think these books are so amazing that I need to let each one settle in my mind before turning to the other.

Highly recommend.

No.  I realize I'm a moderator and should know, but I don't.  And I did search for it to prevent this from happening.

Have merged the two threads.

The older one took some finding as the search facility didn't help (maybe because Grammath added the "Border Trilogy" bit to the title?). Found it eventually on page 15 of C20 Fiction.

21 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Have merged the two threads.

The older one took some finding as the search facility didn't help (maybe because Grammath added the "Border Trilogy" bit to the title?). Found it eventually on page 15 of C20 Fiction.

That makes me feel better because I searched for it by author and title, surprised that there wasn't a thread.  But I did not go page by page.  Thank you Meg.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Grammath
      First, a word of warning. Sticklers for precise grammar will throw this book across the room in frustration at Cormac McCarthy's, um, individual approach to punctuation. There are no speech marks. Apostrophes are few and far between, hence cant, dont and oclock. Nations and nationalities are in lower case (america, english etc.) except Mexico. If you feel this would spoil your appreciation of a novel don't pick this one up. However, you'd be missing out on some of the most stunningly powerful writing in modern American literature. In fact, the minimalist apporach to punctuation complements McCarthy's stark style and subject matter.

Essentially, this is a rite of passage novel. The setting is the Texas and Mexico of the mid-20th century. When his grandfather dies, the teenaged John Grady Cole leaves his ranch with his friend Lacey Rawlins and heads for Mexico. On the way, they encounter Jimmy Blevins, riding a fine horse they suspect he's stolen. The friends warily allow him to ride with them, but the cavalier Blevins eventually gets the trio into trouble with the locals and, although Cole and Rawlins manage to escape to the protection of a local land owner and his family, trouble and tragedy follows them for the rest of the novel.

The Western is generally thought of as being a cinematic genre, but McCarthy has the skill to bring the West to life on the page, warts and all. His powers of description of the rural US and its inhabitants rival those of Steinbeck, his unflinching view of a brutal, male dominated world compares more than favourably with Hemingway. McCarthy is truly worthy of mention in the same breath as those two literary giants.

The tone is elegiac for a lifestyle that has disappeared, although it is one that can be unforgivingly tough; the novel generally moves at a stately pace but is punctuated with explosions of violence that might not be to everybody's taste with resulting injuries borne Stoically. Cole and Rawlins are well realised strong, silent types who can speak volumes just by spitting, although their dry, laconic dialogue is a delight too.

I'd urge admirers of McCarthy's Pulitzer winning "The Road" to seek this out: if anything, "All The Pretty Horses" is the better novel. I'm moving straight onto "The Crossing", the second part of the trilogy and wondering if McCarthy will be able to sustain such high quality.

This doesn't quite pip "Revolutionary Road" to the title of my read of the year for 2009, but it runs it a very close second.

• By Leopold Joyce
      Is this book as good as everyone said it was?
    • By Adrian
      Most bookshops here (NZ) carry only two McCarthy books: recent prize winner The Road and recently adapted for film No Country For Old Men. Having read those two, I was glad to see Unity Bookshop had plenty of his older titles in stock. Child of God, first published 35 years ago, is just as good as the other two books I have read.

Thankfully free of the grammatically annoying stylistic tics that mar his later works, this book actually has punctuation and justified paragraphs. Such an innocent world it was in 1973.

The plot is important, but no more so than McCarthy's wondrous prose style. If you haven't read anything by him before, the first few pages might need to be re-read to get you used to his style. It's well worth the effort.

If you've read any McCarthy before, you'll like this one. If you haven't, I'd say start with The Road. Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    • By Hazel
      This was McCarthy's first published dramatic writing, though he had written a screenplay before this. A play in 5 acts which details the lives of the Telfair family over a period of three years.

At the centre of the play is Ben, son of Big Ben, and grandson of Papaw. There are actually 2 Bens present on stage the whole length of the play. And McCarthy who seems reluctant to give up his prose authorial control, provides quite detailed stage directions. He states that both Bens should look very similar but notably distinct. Not speaking at the same time for instance. So, we have Ben 1, who stands to the side of the main dramatic space, at a podium, and gives lengthy monologues mostly on the topics of masonry and his beloved grandfather. And we have Ben 2, who is the Ben of the onstage scenes.

The Telfairs (a telling name if ever there was one), are a middle-class black family - though race has very little to do with the scope of the tale. Ben, has recently given up University to take up stonemasonry with his grandfather, who he absolutely idolizes. It is the relationship between these two on which the whole play hangs, unfortunately at the expense of the other characters. While not much actually happens between Ben and Papaw, the peripheral characters have turbulent lives; Carlotta, a broken marriage and missing son, Big Ben, debt and isolation, and Soldier, a drug addiction. And these characters are fairly sketchy in comparison to Ben and Papaw.

It reminded me very much of Death of a Saleman; American family life, falling apart, a reliance on sons and of course, the illuminated Ben 1 occasionally interrupting. Papaw and his stonemasonry are the keystones of this family, Ben is primed to take over that position, but so rooted are they both in the craft and solidity of the trade that they forget to attend to the peripheral building of the family. There is more a sense of Ben picking up the pieces and repairing rather than building a solid foundation. And you get the sense that Papaw understood that about families and so invested heavily in Ben as a successor.

Very enjoyable, and I would love to see it performed.
    • By Grammath
      West Texas, 1980. Llewellyn Moss is out hunting when he comes across an abandoned car. Inside are two men, one dead and one very nearly so, and $2 million in cash. Unable to resist, Moss takes the money, the proceeds of a heroin deal, despite the danger he acknowledges he will now be in. As a precaution, he sends his wife away to her mother in El Paso.

On his trail comes the psychopathic Anton Chigurh to recover the money, killing anyone who gets in his way. These activities attract the attention of Sheriff Bell, shortly to retire and, in effect, the old man of the title, decent upright and honourable.

So far, so cliched, you might say, but a couple of factors set this novel apart from a run of the mill thriller. Firstly, Chigurh has to be one of the most chilling characters I've come across in serious fiction, ruthlessly efficient and singleminded. Secondly, the carefully constructed, lean prose describing a macho world is of a standard of which Papa Hemingway would be proud - this is no racy, pulp thriller. Although punctuated with explosions of violence, large parts are quietly reflective, especially those featuring Sherriff Bell, who is given a short monologue at the start of each part of the book - the rest is in the third person.

It was perhaps not best consumed on audiobook - given that the prose had been distilled into such a concentrated form, it required a lot of concentration to follow - but this is a powerful, elemental and well written novel. I will, however, read rather than listen to my next McCarthy book.