Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

New Who

177 posts in this topic

Might as well kick off a new thread for the new series, so here's the new trailer!

Hmmmm. I had high hopes for Steven Moffat, who seemed capable of taking DW in a slightly darker, adult-friendly direction, but I have to say the trailer seems aimed squarely at kids.

I like Smith's delivery, but there's not exactly a lot to go on there.

As I said, hmmmm...

EDIT:
Possibly the embedded player's having trouble with the amount of traffic the site will be getting at the moment. You can see it on the BBC's site, here.

Was one of my favourites too - I'm a bit of a Steven Moffat fan. I have an inflatable Weeping Angel. Had it on my desk at work for a while but now it's at home with me. In plain sight obviously. :P

Not sure what to think of DW yet. I missed a lot of the Catherine Tate episodes first time round as I wasn't sure about here. Learned my lesson there so I'll watch with an open mind.

I really hope that Dr Who moves on. I was getting fed up with the storylines. I read that Neil Gaiman is going to write an episode that will be shown in 2011. Not sure if a new set of writers will help or not.

I just loved that story with the stone angels.

Me too, my favourite episode of the new Dr Who so far and pretty much my favourite single episode of anything for a long time.

The girl in the fireplace was another really good one as well, caught a repeat of that on BBC3 a week or two back.

I read that Neil Gaiman is going to write an episode that will be shown in 2011.
Like that idea. The TV series of "Neverwhere" makes me think he'd do a fine job if let loose on "Doctor Who".

Neil Gaiman said something very apt on twitter regarding Who- you always dislike a new Doctor but within a few episodes you feel like he is the only one there has ever been. Gaiman said he'd be watching Who since Patrick Troughton and its always the same. I imagine it will be the case with this one.

Have to admit the trailer did disappoint- then again its only a teaser so I suppose its job is to not give much away.

And the latest trailer. A few intriguing details - whilst I wish they'd let the Daleks be I couldn't help but raise an interested smile at the Dalek with a tiny Union Jack!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_JghwTWaA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_JghwTWaA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I've read that the Silurians are making a comeback in this series too.. I hope they do them well. The Peter Davidson episode with them and the Sea Devils was a bit of a travesty.

Slightly odd that arguably the best trailer comes from BBC America:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdAPheEE_3k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdAPheEE_3k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm intrigued.

(BTW, David, I don't think it's odd that the best trailers come from the US. If there's one thing the US IS best at, it's promoting things and advertising!!)

If there's one thing the US IS best at, it's promoting things and advertising!!

That's very true, Kim. No, it wasn't meant to express amazement that the Americans had done it better, just disappointment that the Beeb itself - with its own material - hadn't.

Even worse is that the worst of the bunch - that daft vortex thing - is the only one you actually get to see on the telly.

Oh wow, oh wow, oh WOW!!! Loved the first episode and want more. Off for cocktails so will prob post in more detail tomorrow.

Quick off the mark there, Luce! Yeah, I loved it too and now feel properly excited about the rest of the series. Funny, touching, pacy and with a great establishment story for Amy (distinct shades of Moffat's earlier "Girl in the Fireplace").

And I very much liked Matt Smith, who has that essential quirkiness and almost timelessness about him.

Great fun.

A promising start, I thought.

It got a little tedious in the food tasting sequence, although I did like the line - "You're Scottish, fry something"

I wonder how many mothers are going to be nagged into giving their youngsters fish fingers and custard for tea? I prefer tomato ketchup, personally

:rolleyes:

ETA:

I loved the old-style taps amongst the controls of the gleaming new Tardis, and I particularly loved the old typewriter.

I enjoyed the script, acting and story. The only thing I didn't get on with was the new title sequence, which was less inspiring and the music less dramatic - reverting back to the tinny 80s version. I thought the spare room and the teeth were unsettling and having a man with a rottweiler as the barking baddy was fun, as it used the CGI monster sparingly.

Next week is with those creepy smilers..

The only thing I didn't get on with was the new title sequence, which was less inspiring and the music less dramatic - reverting back to the tinny 80s version.

Yes, I was disappointed there too - the music in particular is very poor.

The boys didn't watch it last night, I think eldest is still in mourning for David Tennant, but I think I'll let them see it tonight on iPlayer considering all the praise. And this comes from a Scot who doesn't fry anything. Honestly.

A strong first episode, I thought, although the new guy for me needs a little more time to establish his credentials. Previous Doctors have had some kind of USP, I'm not sure what Smith's is yet beyond being young.

A strong first episode, I thought, although the new guy for me needs a little more time to establish his credentials. Previous Doctors have had some kind of USP, I'm not sure what Smith's is yet beyond being young.

It'll be interesting to see how that pans out since Moffat has taken a different line from previous regenerations. He claimed in an interview that Matt Smith is essentially still David Tennant, since it's the same man. Consequently I think the intention is to play him in a very similar way to DT.