Sign in to follow this  
Royal Rother

Less Well-Known Band, Artist & Album Recommendations

Being a self confessed aging goth, the first new band of 2015 I have been taken with are Canadians Viet Cong https://soundcloud.com/jagjaguwar/sets/viet-conf-viet-cong-album-out, who have more than a touch of the likes of Bauhaus about them.

I'm also a self confessed lover of the early 1990s movement known dismissively as shoegazing (My Bloody Valentine and the like). The movement appears to have reached Russia, and Pinkshinyultrablast will be releasing their UK debut LP Everything Else Matters later this month. The video is here: http://youtu.be/z-cISmtXk1M

viet cong was played on lauren laverne's show today

lily & madelaine

i find this a very beautiful song, very heartfelt and that album is very much growing on me, this is an acousitc song. they are on the asthmatic kitten label of sufjan stevens.

sleep thieves

an irish electro-pop act

september girls

an irish rock group

Something a little more gentle than my previous two recommendations. I had not realized that Olafur Arnalds, an Icelandic musician generally known for his semi-classical compositions, especially on the soundtrack of the TV series Broadchurch, had also collaborated on a more electronic record under the name Kiasmos. And very pleasant it is too...https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Kiasmos

In fact, for those who like a bit of post-rocking and neo-classical music in their lives, I can recommend much of what I've heard of the output of the label Arnalds for, Erased Tapes. Their website is here. I've listened and liked fellow Scandinavian minimalist Nils Frahm, ambient project A Winged Victory for the Sullen and US multi-instrumentalist Peter Broderick, who has a slightly folkier bent.  

Something a little more gentle than my previous two recommendations. I had not realized that Olafur Arnalds, an Icelandic musician generally known for his semi-classical compositions, especially on the soundtrack of the TV series Broadchurch, had also collaborated on a more electronic record under the name Kiasmos. And very pleasant it is too...https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Kiasmos

i like his side project kiasmos songs that i've heard, however i prefer the music of his cousin Olof Arnalds, she is on the bjork's one little indian label

Listened to Radio 4 this week and learnt of the genius of Bob Copper.

I rate Courtney Barnett's work as well, and I'm not usually one for focusing on lyrics when I listen to music. Hers are really good though, witty and clever.

I'm also currently enjoying the work of 

Algiers - an extraordinary fusion of post-punk music and gospel vocals

Nadine Shah - takes cues from Anna Calvi, PJ Harvey and Nick Cave

Fear of Men - female fronted sensitive indie-pop as it should be done

The History of Apple Pie - yet another new shoegaze tip from me.

and, on a more electronic bent, Tourist, Dauwd, Daniel Avery, Slow Magic and Vessels.

i have been liking the Nadine Shah songs i've heard, i've a song of history of apple pie's on a compilation album and it is a good song :)

Yesterday came across an Irish rock band, The Riptide Movement, who sound as if they might well be my cup o' tea.  Think they have one or two CDs out so probably look in on those, or download a track or two first for tasters.

looking forward toMax Jury's debut album

also looking forward toXylaroo's album

and liked last year's album by irish folk-popsterInni-K though don't ask me to translate

Big Big Train - I was there.

Fantastic band and gig.

It's a long track but when the brass kicks in.... Oh my goodness!

They tell stories of very English things, closure of the shipbuilding yard at Swan Hunter, coal mining in Wales, beekeeping, the rescue of a ditched bomber thanks to the 120 miles flight of their pigeon Winkie, etc. etc. You get the picture. This track tells the tale of the building and first "flight" of Mallard.

Hello Royal, haven't seen you around for a while.

Thanks for noticing!

Job change and heavier schedule partly due to Mrs RR giving up driving as a result of eye problem meant reading activities severely curtailed.

Hopefully 2 offspring should pass driving test in the next few weeks which might just mean I get some evenings back so maybe I'll pick up a thriller or 2 again...