Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

Subscribers' Offer: The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet

20 posts in this topic

The subscriber offers area has been too quiet for my liking in recent times so let's get things rolling with a cracking offer. There has been a lot of interest in the debut novel from Reif Larsen, The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet, which has already earned some impressive reviews. The rather lovely people at Random House are offering us two copies which will be available to UK-based subscribers only. I had a peek in Waterstones this afternoon and it is a beautiful book that indeed looks very interesting.

Jacket.jpg

"T.S. Spivet is a 12-year-old genius mapmaker who lives on a ranch in Montana. His father is a silent cowboy and his mother is a scientist who for the last twenty years has been looking for a mythical species of beetle. His brother has gone, his sister seems normal but might not be, and his dog – Verywell – is going mad.

It’s odd, but then families are. T.S. makes sense of it all by drawing beautiful, meticulous maps kept in innumerable colour-coded notebooks: maps of the countryside, maps of his family’s behaviour, maps of animal and plant life. He is brilliant, and the Smithsonian Institution agrees, though when they telephone with news that he has won a major scientific prize they don’t suspect for a minute that he is twelve years old.

So begins T.S.’s life-changing adventure, fleeing in the dead of night, riding freight trains two thousand miles across America – how else do 12-year-olds get to Washington D.C.? – to reach the awards dinner, the fame, the secret-society membership and the TV appearances that beckon. But is this what he wants? Do maps and lists explain the world? And why are adults so strange?

The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet is a story like no other: exhilarating, funny, endlessly charming and unbearably poignant. It is a journey through life’s mysteries great and small, and about how on earth a boy with a telescope, four compasses and a theodolite should set about solving them."

‘Two predictions about The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet: readers are going to love it as much as I did, and few if any will have experienced anything like it. I'm flabbergasted by Reif Larsen's talent.

Here is a book that does the impossible: it combines Mark Twain, Thomas Pynchon, and Little Miss Sunshine. Good novels entertain; great ones come as a gift to the readers who are lucky enough to find them. This book is a treasure’

STEPHEN KING

The only condition of our offer is that you must make it your next read and post a review.

Because there are only two books I don't want this to be a first come first served offer. If you would like a copy then please PM me and on Friday morning I will put the names in a hat (well, a cereal bowl probably...) and the first two out will get their shiny new copies of a very desirable book!

For those of you who would like to purchase it anyway you can do so through our BGO Amazon link:

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=bookgrouponli-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=184655277X&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=1FDBD6&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

EDIT: The thread to discuss the book is here

I'm not in the UK so not eligible but I just wanted to echo David about what a lovely looking book this is. I had a copy in my hands at my local bookstore this morning and it was only my no-book-buying-until-my-big-trip resolution that made me put it back. It's one of those rare books that is a really beautiful object as well as looking like an interesting read.

:cool:

Okay, my cereal bowl was duly filled and the two slips of neat white paper that came out first were...

Lady Lazarus and Hazel!

So well done both of you. I rolled my eyes in wry fashion as Hazel's name was first out the bowl since I think it will have become clear to regulars that we have become very good friends beyond the board (though at long distance!). I do hope you all trust me to have conducted the draw fairly and what I will say is that in the next draw for a small number of books (5 or fewer) LL and Hazel will have to sit that one out so that we have the fairest distribution possible. I hope that sounds reasonable.

Thanks to everyone who entered the draw - I hope we'll be able to have several of these every year.

Do you think I should have pointed out to her that she could have bought it through our Amazon link for around half that?

...Nah.

:ssh:

Well done to L_L and Hazel - I'll be very interested to read your thoughts on it

If only I'd known Hazel had paid £20 - it made my £15 look a bit miserly ;)

If the purpose of these promotions is to increase sales, then I can report success. The plug in David's post inspired me to buy a copy today.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be upset if Hazel and Lady Lazarus were eligible for the next promotion too. It would be a shame if people ended up feeling disappointed not to be eligible for something they would really like just because they got the last one.

If the purpose of these promotions is to increase sales, then I can report success. The plug in David's post inspired me to buy a copy today.

There's obviously something subliminal in David's plug because I just bought it too. Only the paperback version available here, but still the same format. Lovely looking book.

That's good news! Well, I'm working with the same publicist at the moment to line up something even better so if there's evidence these promotions work then it'll only help our cause in the future - thanks for posting about it. When the time comes to post thoughts about the book I'll create a link from here to a thread in 21st Century Fiction.

Having read the book a few weeks back, I'll be interested to see what others make of it. Looking across GoodReads, the ratings are almost all four and five stars across the board.

Having read the book a few weeks back, I'll be interested to see what others make of it. Looking across GoodReads, the ratings are almost all four and five stars across the board.

Does your comment imply that you didn't enjoy it?

I'll be interested to see what others make of it.

Feel free to kick off the thread, Stewart.

Sorry for the late response, but a chuffed to have won this! Am waiting eagerly for Mr Postie to deliver, but no sign as yet. Am more than happy to sit out on the next draw.

Am waiting eagerly for Mr Postie to deliver, but no sign as yet.

Oh! That doesn't sound good - it really should have arrived by now. If there's no sign in the next few days I'll have to chase it up.