• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LauraLou

LauraLou

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

I'd heard of his book and decided to investigate, all I can say is: :eek:

It sounds disgusting and I read reviews of children also finding it disgusting themselves, yet there were mainly five star reviews (amazon). I was expecting a whole host one stars. I was just wondering if anyone had bought it for their children? I think if I have children in the future I won't be jumping to the shop to buy it for them. What was on the author's mind? :confused:

For those who don't know it's about a mole who has an animal poo on it's head, he then goes round to different animals asking if they did it and all them animals (by doing the business themselves in front of the mole) prove it's not their...faeces...Meanwhile flies eat the business from off the mole's head. Then finally he discovers it was a dog and decides to poo on the dog.

What the heck? :hmm:

#2 OFFLINE   Flingo

Flingo

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

I saw the posters on the tube that were advertising this some time ago, but can honestly say I haven't had the pleasure to see the book. Why haven't I seen it? Because my colleagues decided that we didn't want to buy it to put into our libraries. I have a feeling they thought the same as you LauraLou!

#3 OFFLINE   megustaleer

megustaleer

So, this is where reading gets you!

• Moderators
  • 10,611 posts
  • LocationNW Essex UK

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

It has been adapted as a musical - and got rave reviews :eek:

#4 OFFLINE   Hazel

Hazel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,948 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Lordy, we do get our knickers in a twist about silly things. Everyone poos, children find it very funny and talk about it a lot, and my boys have never laughed as much as when reading this book. Is it really any worse than, say, Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes?

#5 OFFLINE   Flingo

Flingo

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Is it really any worse than, say, Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes?

Not having actually read it, I can't answer this based on the specific book, but I can widen it up. I think this is the problem with "evaluation" of books - we all look at things so differently, it's a very subjective experience. Other examples of this include the fact that we originally didn't buy The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket, due to a poor evaluation, or Century by Sarah Singleton (which went on to win the Booktrust Teenage Book Prize). The hard thing for buying for public library stock though is that you are trying not to offend anyone (PC gone mad?!), and some books push some boundary's further than others - I think this is one of them. I know that in the early 80's Roald Dahl suffered with this image too though.

But please don't think that we generally avoid books with toilet humour, nearly all of us have treasured copies of Who's in the Loo? (by Jeanne Willis) and Where's my potty? (by Mij Kelly) in our storytime boxes! [/off topic stint!]

#6 OFFLINE   Hazel

Hazel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,948 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:16 AM

we originally didn't buy The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket, due to a poor evaluation

That's a shame - I take it it is stocked now?

The hard thing for buying for public library stock though is that you are trying not to offend anyone (PC gone mad?!)

PC gone absolutely certifiable! Who gets offended by pooing? Is there a minority that doesn't poo? Of course, I am being slightly facetious but The Mole...is a very funny book and appeals straight to the heart of what young kids find extremely funny. Inexplicable as it is to us boring adults.

#7 OFFLINE   David

David

Emeritus Admin.

• Members
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Who gets offended by pooing?

I'm reminded of an unfortunate incident in Marks and Spencer the other day...

#8 OFFLINE   Hazel

Hazel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,948 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

I'm reminded of an unfortunate incident in Marks and Spencer the other day...

David, David, David, always lowering the tone.

#9 OFFLINE   LauraLou

LauraLou

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

Lordy, we do get our knickers in a twist about silly things. Everyone poos, children find it very funny and talk about it a lot, and my boys have never laughed as much as when reading this book. Is it really any worse than, say, Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes?

It's not so much that, it's the deliberate "pooing" onto other creatures that's a tad bit disgusting. :confused:

#10 OFFLINE   TwinBibbles

TwinBibbles

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:00 AM

It's not so much that, it's the deliberate "pooing" onto other creatures that's a tad bit disgusting. :confused:

LauraLou: I definately agree.
That is not common sense, the whole idea is disgusting.
What silly person wrote it?
The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television. ~Andrew Ross
beautifulballerina.myfreeforum.org

#11 OFFLINE   TwinBibbles

TwinBibbles

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:04 AM

I actually thought you were all joking, then I checked on amazon, and boy was I shocked.
Yuck...
I just hope the future generation won't 'poop' on people's head now.
The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television. ~Andrew Ross

#12 OFFLINE   Hazel

Hazel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,948 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

I just hope the future generation won't 'poop' on people's head now.

At least it will be one teenage crime that can't be blamed on Marilyn Manson or Judas Priest.

#13 OFFLINE   TwinBibbles

TwinBibbles

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Never heard of them, but the woman looks about 30.

#14 OFFLINE   anneliesscott

anneliesscott

Subscriber

• Subscribers
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

I adore this book - it was bought for my daughter by her 60 year old godmother who has a fab sense of humour and they were both giggling throughout while reading it together. It's cute, well written, and quite informative!

I would recommend it to anyone with children under 7

#15 OFFLINE   Fahrenheit452

Fahrenheit452

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:29 PM

Don't judge it without reading it. it is a very charming and funny book - quite droll actually. I would unresevedly recommend it for any child - mine loves it!

#16 OFFLINE   school librarian

school librarian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

I would recommend it to anyone with children under 7

Sorry to pipe up so late here...

This is one of my favourite books (along with Walter the farting dog)
Any one of any age is ideal for it. I brought this for the library and the teachers love it so much that they read it out loud in the library at the end of their visit. :D

Okay if you're after a 'moral of the story' then you're outta luck as it really is that if someone poops on you, hunt them down and do the same to them.

But as something to make the kids laugh, get them enjoying reading and encourage them to read, you can't go past this book.

BTW - the reading recovery teacher at school swears by it to get the kids interested in trying to read (and we're talking 11-13 year olds here).

Plus, it's educational, I can now identify several varieties of poo. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users