iff

Live Music Plans?

I unfortunately haven't been to any live concerts or gigs in a year or so, my last concert was in January 2015 and I went to see Slipknot and Korn, super good but also super expensive! Around £90 for a standing ticket!  

In November I am going to see Bullet For My Valentine with a few friends, but I don't have any other gigs or concerts planned. Not many of the bands or singers I like visit my city so I normally have long intervals between the concerts I attend. But I am still looking forward to Bullet and hopefully more in the future!

End of September I'm off to see The Gloaming and Dave Gilmour (tho not at the same gig  :lmao: ) in October it's UB40 and in November Paul Simon.

Is Paul Simon still making the music rounds, the same who used to be partnered with Mr. Garfunkel?

2 more lined up for the end of the year

Kate tempest (currently reading her novel) at the end of November and in mid-december, going to see Low in Christchurch cathedral, which because of the setting I am really looking forward to

Something to look forward to iff!

Thanks, I also have some annual leave days not used so will work some time off to correspond with these

so i've had a busy year in regards to gigs so far.

in february, i had three gigs - frightened rabbit, joseph and teagan & sara. i enjoyed the three shows, teagan & sara were my favourite. really good live despite one of them (maybe sara) having a sore throat which led them to cancelling austrailia & new zealand tour), very heavy on the two electro pop albums which would be the two i love.

Joseph had been good, being a newish act, they could do some work on it and frightened rabbit was an enjoyable show.

i saw haley bonar in march, i thought she was excellent live. i really enjoyed this show

in june, i was at arcade fire. it was good.

last week i was at lisa hannigan who are mesmerising live. i really enjoyed this show. she is a really good performer. her support was an act i quite like too, inni-k

i have so far 5 others planned for the remainder of the year :)

so i had 12 gigs in total this year. the second half was

Belle & Sebastian - very much a best of show, playing a great mix of songs from their albums though only a couple from the latest girls in peace time want to dance.

Roots Manuva - a good show, though they only started it at 10pm which is a bit annoying. also the venue is very nice but isn't really a conducive setting for a brit hop musician.

amber arcades - i really liked this show. they have a very good rapport with the crowd. i also met the singer afterwards and she is very nice

st. vincent - the support was actually the short film she directed. it was only st. vincent on the stage, i don't think many artists could have pulled this off but with the theatrics of st. vincent and quality of her performance, she could. a real favourite of mine

london grammar - while the performance of songs was very good it seemed all they said between the songs was that playing in ireland is their favourite place to play (must be even worse for fans outside of ireland where they mustn't speak at all) and asking for fans to sing along.  and also, the 50 minutes between the support act and main act was too long, far too long.

jesca hoop - if this gig wasn't in december, i wouldn't have gone but it was and i kind of like a gig at the end of year to book mark the year :) i'm glad i went. she is conversational live, interacting with stories between the songs and her dess she was  wearing. it reminded me of a lantern and i think that was the idea. a really lovely night and very happy to have gone.

my favourite 5 gigs of 2017 were st. vincent, belle & sebastian, haley bonar, lisa hannigan and jesca hoop :)

So starting on a roll this year with 5 already

British sea power in february

A really great set from one of my favourite bands, good mix of songs between new and old, throwing in a couple from their first album in 2002. 

hamell on trial in February

not a person for everyone but he does put on a great show, one I really enjoy filled with jokes and biting cynicism. I think he is a great performer

elbow with John grant.

i prefer John grant's stuff to elbow's. I liked. John grant opening up did a good mix of 7 songs (maybe 8). Elbow put on a good show too.

wyvern lingo

i saw these before supporting marina & the diamonds a number of years ago. (Irish support acts can be mixed, many of which I've seen opening are no longer active) In that time, they have really put a lot of work into their live performances. It really shows and this was very entertain. I enjoyed their music very much, the soulfulness of their sound coming through. And doing things in an unorthodox way.

belle & Sebastian with julien baker as support

I wouldn't go to too many acts 9 months after seeing them before (actually not many acts come and do proper gigs in Dublin in that short space of time) but belle & sebastian are an exception to this. this was great. my favourite  band. Put on a really great show again,  showing pictures of their travels in Dublin, a Venn diagram of the songs they've played between the show last July and the 2 this week showing very little overlap (maybe 4 songs altogether at more than 1 show). The new song or two they played work well live. Piazza, new York catcher really nicely done.

Julien baker as a support act was very good too. Rejoice was a good song.

-----

This is looking a good year so far. 7 more gigs planned.

Edited by iff