iff

Live Music Plans?

132 posts in this topic

so let's have a thread for live music plans

anyone with gigs or concerts coming up?

personally inmarch i will be off to see Jamie Lidell in the Andrew Lane Theatre in Dublin. i'm looking forward to it. he's suppose to be very good live

I've just been to watch a load of kids playing big band and jazz music with a group of players from the Halle Orchestra - great fun.

As usual, I always have a lot planned on this front:

9th February - NME Shockwaves Awards show at the Islington Academy with up and coming Australian four piece Howling Bells and support from a Japanese-American group called Asobi Seksu whom I can also recommend.

16th April - The Whitest Boy Alive at the Scala. Unexpectedly funky project from former King of Convenience Erlend Oye whom I saw play cracking sets at KoKo and the Electric Ballroom in Camden during 2008.

17th April - Bat For Lashes at the Shepherds Bush Empire. Return of Natasha Khan in support of her second album.

21st April - PJ Harvey and John Parrish at the Empire. Haven't seen Polly play for years. This is a side project so it won't be the hits - she and Mr Parrish have made one album together (1996's "Dance Hall at Louse Point") and are releasing another shortly.

11th May - The Specials at Brixton Academy. Really looking forward to this one. 30 years ago, The Specials were my favourite band and I still listen to their stuff regularly.

Also thinking of seeing Norwegian techno duo Royksopp play as part of the South Bank's Ether Festival in April, but a few other things I wanted to see (Franz Ferdinand, White Lies) have already sold out.

I'd like to go to All Tomorrow's Parties, as curated by The Breeders this year, but I don't think I'm going to be able to interest anyone else I know.

They are. I did see them when "The Understanding" was released, hence toying with the idea of seeing them again.

After the tripe that was Crystal Antlers this past Friday, I don't think I want to go to another gig. There was talk that night of perhaps going to see the Bronx later this month, which I don't know if I can be bothered with. But, end of April, start of May, I'm off to the Shetlands for the Shetland Folk Festival. Plenty of stuff to see there.

2009 is a little light on the gig front so far this year. So far I have tickets to see Imelda May in Bath later this month, and Antony and the Johnsons in Bristol in May.

I'm checking daily for announcements of an extensive Rufus Wainwright tour...

the night after jamie lidell, there is a benefit gig for the owners of the record shop i like that's closing down road records. i've got my ticket for the night

it'll be irish bands jape, adrian crowley, the jimmy cake, colm mcac con iomaire and the dudley corporation v large mound (the large corporation) performing. should be a good night

We're off to Brighton for a long weekend in March, going to see Emiliana Torrini on the Saturday night.

in april, RSAG in Dundalk at the spirit store is extremely tempting. i've been to the venue several times

the gigs at the weekend were very good especially jam ie lidell

in june, i have tickets for michael franti & spearhead :)

Since my last post, I have acquired tickets to see the very marvellous The National at the Royal Festival Hall in August. I'm assuming a new album will be out around this time, which is exciting for this sad old music geek.

The only previous time I've seen The National was at the Latitude Festival in Suffolk in 2007. Tickets for 2009's bash go on sale on Monday. I missed 2008, despite it having some of my favourite bands on the bill (Interpol, Sigur Ros, Tindersticks, The Breeders, Nick Cave in his Grinderman guise). Given it also has excellent comedy (Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran and Stewart Lee headed the 2007 bill) and literature stages, I'd like to go back.

Tickets for 2009's bash go on sale on Monday. I missed 2008, despite it having some of my favourite bands on the bill (Interpol, Sigur Ros, Tindersticks, The Breeders, Nick Cave in his Grinderman guise). Given it also has excellent comedy (Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran and Stewart Lee headed the 2007 bill) and literature stages, I'd like to go back.

Ooh Gram, you're making me very jealous. I'm going to have to give the festival season a miss this year, as I'll be 8-9 months pregnant and will be wearing a tent rather than kipping in one. We were tempted to try and squeeze Latitude in as it's fairly early, but we've now got our NCT course planned for that weekend. These babies don't half take over your life, even well before they're born :rolleyes:. I've not been to any gigs for aaaaages, although I do still turn up the music very loud in the car...

in april, i will be going to see Talulah does the hula in Dublin

tickets were €10 so i said what the hey

Off to see, now don't laugh, Ultravox tonight at the Clyde Auditorium. Hubby has always been a huge fan, likewise his brother, so the 4 of us will be dancing with tears in our eyes tonight. I'll just be crying actually.

Off to see, now don't laugh, Ultravox tonight at the Clyde Auditorium. Hubby has always been a huge fan, likewise his brother, so the 4 of us will be dancing with tears in our eyes tonight. I'll just be crying actually.

What was the Ultravox concert like Hazel?

What was the Ultravox concert like Hazel?
Ah. The first half was awful, I really thought I was going to file for divorce! It was very muso-y with lyric-less songs that went on for far too long, lots of synth noises and flashing lights. The second half featured more of the 'classic' songs: Dancing with tears in our eyes, Vienna (sang really, really badly), Passing Strangers...and it wasn't too bad. The crowd was mostly made up of nostalgia-junkies though, dancing in weird steps last seen around 1983. Hubby and B-in-law had a ball. Too much bright light for me though, and too much muso-noise.

:D Doesn't sound like it was too much of an ordeal.

Whenever I hear the song Vienna, I always think of Joe Dolce and Wassa madda you, godda no respect. I think that was the song that pipped Vienna to the number one spot after being at number 2 for about a million weeks to John Lennon's Imagine.

Whenever I hear the song Vienna, I always think of Joe Dolce and Wassa madda you, godda no respect. I think that was the song that pipped Vienna to the number one spot

You know, I have heard that story about a gazillion times, my hubby still holds a massive grudge about it! Men.

You know, I have heard that story about a gazillion times, my hubby still holds a massive grudge about it! Men.

Well it shows a certain strength of character to hold a grudge for that long :D

Well it shows a certain strength of character to hold a grudge for that long :D
My hubby's grudges are legendary - he can hold them for years and years...

Decided to sit Latitude out for this year again, I think, although we currently have great festivalling whether in this part of the Home Counties.

I've just got tickets to see Massive Attack yet again, this time at Brixton Academy in September, as well as for Franz Ferdinand, also at Brixton in October, plus for a show in July by film composer Clint Mansell, who wrote the original music for most of Darren Aronofsky's films. This is at the Union Chapel in Islington in July. It is hard to believe he used to be lead shouter in Pop Will Eat Itself.

The Enid have announced a handful of dates, first time in very many years. I am going to make an effort to go as I've never seen them perform live.