Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Evangelista's Fan - Rose Tremain. A charity shop purchase which has been sitting on my bookshels since 2008.

I don't know why I haven't read it yet; there is no thread for it here on BGO, so pehaps I have been a bit scared that it won't live up to my expectations of a Rose Tremain?

Edit: Ah, now I know why I have not read it before - it is a collection of short stories - not a form that I enjoy.

Or at least not until now. Maybe these will change that?

I

15 minutes ago, megustaleer said:

My Name Is Red - Orhan Pamuk

He won the Nobel prize for that, I believe.  Be interested in what you make of it Meg, I couldn't make sense of it at all.

I must admit, the BGO thread on it has made me doubt the wisdom of trying this after such a long break from reading anything that requires concentration.

The first chapter has me hooked, and I think I can cope with the unusual structure, but may get bogged down in the detail. If Lady Lazarus couldn't get to the end I wonder if I have the perseverance! 

On 11/02/2018 at 22:51, megustaleer said:

I must admit, the BGO thread on it has made me doubt the wisdom of trying this after such a long break from reading anything that requires concentration.

The first chapter has me hooked, and I think I can cope with the unusual structure, but may get bogged down in the detail. If Lady Lazarus couldn't get to the end I wonder if I have the perseverance! 

I'm sure that you do.  I may have another attempt at it with my newfound perseverence.

My Own Story, Emmaline Pankhurst.  Saw this on sale in the bookshop last year and bought it because I've always been interested.  Now, in the year marking 100 years since some women got the vote it seems appropriate to me to hear it from the horses mouth.

My youngest daughter and I swopped e-readers this weekend and I'm having a lovely time going through stuff I wouldn't normally read. She loves fantascy, Sf, steampunk and Elizabeth Peters. So far I've been through one Elizabeth Peters and am currently on a History of Dragons byMarie Brennan which is steampunk and great fun.