Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

5,481 posts in this topic

Currently going with another of CP's "hand-me-downs" (how many of the books I DO get round to reading fit into that category!)

Fair Stood The Wind For France by H E Bates, an author I have never picked up and tried before.  After finishing Birdsong I thought I probably wasn't ready for another WW1-related love story (of sorts) so decided to try a WW2-related love story!

I find I usually do better with any book when I start it prior to some days off from work, so having started it just before three days AT work the initial going was a bit slow i.e. about three or four pages a night before nodding off :ssh:  

However, with today and tomorrow off, and a nice afternoon in the garden today (until about 4.00pm) further progress has been made and I'm now past 100 pages and, I have to say, enjoying it very much.  It doesn't move particularly quickly and so far it has less the feel of a war story, more one of individuals being way out of their comfort zone and having to rely on, and place infinite trust in, complete strangers for their safety and survival.  It also conveys the dangers faced by the local French people who help the stranded airmen.

I know CP enjoyed this book and I have a feeling that, once finished, I very probably will too.

I finished three novels in the last week (1 was very short, the other had taken me three weeks to finish) so now after pushing it down a couple of times from being next read, it is now

the good people by hannah kent.

maybe part of my wariness is I think the family name in it crosses into my family tree (twice) through my great great grandmothers and it is fiction based on a true story. (both of the great great grandmothers would have been in the vicinity of the part of Ireland) hope no other family surnames crop up in it :D

I'm still reading Watergate by Fred Emery.  It's a weighty tome and fact filled.  I was forced to print out the list of characters yesterday (thoughtfully put at the front of the book for our convenience) because I kept getting confused.  Will get there in the end!

About 70 pages into "Wiseguy" by Nicholas Pileggi.  Really enjoying it, as I somehow knew I probably would.  If you've ever seen the film "Goodfellas" it's the book upon which that film is based.  The true story of Henry Hill who, from a very early age, was heavily involved with the New York crime families and who, eventually, turned federal witness.

I'm working on this leading me to read The Godfather, another of my all-time favourite films (well, the whole trilogy of films) but never got around to reading the book.

2 hours ago, Ragamuffin Gunner said:

I'm working on this leading me to read The Godfather, another of my all-time favourite films (well, the whole trilogy of films) but never got around to reading the book.

Ooooooh, I've been reading the Godfather over and over for years.  I don't remember not having it in the house (technically it belongs to my dad) and actually has a couple of my baby scribbles on it.  We know the films by heart and the book very well.  The films are faithful to the book, horses head 'n all (but wait until you read that!)