(Time-Traveller's Wife

Secret Life of Bees

perks of being a wallflower

Dogs of Babel

Due Diligence)

Tonight I'm starting a Jeremiah Healey book called "The Staked Goat."

What are you reading right now?

Hello there,

Im currently reading "Empire" by Niall Ferguson. It's good so far, although my not being used to reading non-fiction, it's taking me a while to get through it. 5 books in a week?! :eek:

I've got no time to read any books at the moment, as this website is taking up all my time!

Over Christmas, I plan to read Jonathan Coe's follow-up to The Rotters' Club, The Closed Circle, and Graeme Thomson's biography of Elvis Costello, Complicated Shadows.

I am dawdling my way through Dostoevksy's The Brothers Karamazov , with occasional diversions into something lighter like Michael Leunig (Australian cartoonist/poet).

Currently I'm not reading anything! I know if I start something now and don't finish it before Christmas I probably won't finish it at all. I'm saving all my readingness (is that a word?) for books I get for Christmas, hopefully this'll include Kate Jacoby's "Elita" series (I got the first one for my birthday and loved it!) and maybe the new Terry Pratchett, "Going Postal". Even so, when I get those I'll probably end up speed-reading them so they're out the way before my January exams.... :P

And five books in a week?! Very impressive, I haven't managed that since the summer! :D

5 books in a week? Good grief! I could probably manage 5 Mr Man books, but there's not enough time in the day to read at that pace!

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm currently on Sheila Hancock's book about her and John Thaw. After that it will be either the new Stephen Donaldson or volume 5 in Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

I've got no time to read any books at the moment, as this website is taking up all my time!

Over Christmas, I plan to read Jonathan Coe's follow-up to The Rotters' Club, The Closed Circle, and Graeme Thomson's biography of Elvis Costello, Complicated Shadows.

Ohhhh!

Is that Elvis Costello book a new one!? My fiance would FLIP over it....

*thinkin' Christmas pressie* woohoo!

I am reading Pompeii by Robert Harris atm! Finding it good, a bit long but good :) I finished Jane Eyre after reading it for 13564354 years, and I love all classics :0 Halfway through Dracula too, except from when it goes off of Johnathan Harker's diary, it just goes pointless and boring. It's hard to keep going. Also reading I capture the castle (Boring) and 20 thousand leagues under the sea (Much prefer Centre of Earth and 80 days!)

I've devoured 5 books in the last week!

(Time-Traveller's Wife

Secret Life of Bees

perks of being a wallflower

Dogs of Babel

Due Diligence)

Tonight I'm starting a Jeremiah Healey book called "The Staked Goat."

What are you reading right now?

I'm reading Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore - I'm into Russia under Communism at the moment having read Anne Appelbaum's Gulag which I really enjoyed (if "enjoying" is the right word? Perhaps illuminating is better).

I've always got a few books on the go, so Im also reading philosophy John Macmurray's The Form of the Personal Vol II. He's not so much "I think therefore I am" but "I do therefore I am", he says thinking is an action ie as in "what are you doing?", oh just thinking!

I'm beginning Snow Water by poet Michael Longley, I'm just getting my head round the first poem!

Ploughing my way through "the skeptical environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg - which apart from the environmental aspect is brilliant for me as it makes me aware of how to question statistics.

I try to finish a book a week.

I'm reading too many books at the moment I should probably try and actully finish a book before I start a new one....

Charlotte Gray by Sebatian Faulkes

Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Emma by Jane Austen

The Da Vinci Code (for the 3rd time....) Dan Brown

Diary of Anne Frank

I needed some easy reading, so I've gone back to good old Discworld books for a while. Currently I'm reading Jingo and Moving Pictures (one's by my bed, one's in my bag :P), haven't read either for a few years. And for those of you not "in the know", they're by Terry Pratchett.

I'm currently reading The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker and Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer. I need the brain candy to offset the serious stuff! I'll do a proper post about it when I've finished but so far, The Seven Basic Plots is an excellent book.

Hi everybody, first-time poster here

I'm approaching the end of 'The Quarry' by Damon Galgut (1995)

A simple tale, told effectively in a very economical style: stripped down to its basics, no extraneous words and short chapters - great for a slow reader :)

I was given a boxed set of 10 James Bond novels for Christmas, which I'm working my way through. Fairly light reading, but there's a couple of scenes that will hang around in my head for a while. Interesting to see how they compare to the films, too.

I've a whole stack of long-lost Heyers just itching to be re-read but I daren't touch anything set in a period in which I am literally currently writing, so they are going to have to wait.

After being challenged before Christmas to expand my reading horizons by reading a graphic novel (I chose 1602 by Neil Gamain - which I really, really enjoyed - superhero comic that transfers Marvel's classic characters to the Elizabethan period) I just finished re-reading several Asterix books with renewed appreciation.

Next on the to-be-read-pile are Fortunes Daughters by Elizabeth Kehoe and The Lambs of London by Peter Ackroyd.

I've just finished Rohinton Mistry's Family Matters. A rather sad book about a Parsee family in Bombay but with wonderful descriptions and a really warm, life enhancing approach. Beautifully written and if anyone thinks the art of description is dead they should try this!

Have started reading Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche which I'm finding a real page turner. So far it is about two children born into a Roman Catholic family in Nigeria - they are only allowed a 15 minute visit with their grandfather once a year because he refuses to become a christian. After the coup the children are sent back to the village and I imagine the rest of the story turns on the different sets of values set against Nigerian violence and corruption. It is extremely well written and for me, is about a completely unknown society.

To be read:

The Rare and the Beautiful by Cressida Connelly. It is a biography of the Garman family. Kathleen Garman became the lover of the sculptor Jacob Epstein and eventually married him. Mary married the poet Roy Campbell and Lorna was the lover of Laurie Lee and the painter Lucien Freud. Kathleen was a great art collector with her friend Sally Ryan and the collection is now in the wonderful Walsall Art Gallery - definitely worth a visit.

Gwen John's letters and notebooks.

First of all welcome to new poster Slowreader.

I have just started Anita Shreve's 'Light on Snow', according to reviews it's not one of her best. Anyone agree with this?

I'm not reading anything at the moment. :( I have to have my books taken away from me when I've got a lot of work on or they distract me, so the book I want to read (Stephen King's Dark Tower Vol 2) is hidden at a friends house! :(

What did you think of "About a Boy" Harriet? I really enjoyed it, and have re-read it a couple of times - when I'm in the mood for something easy and familiar.

(Hope you are re-united with your books soon, Fiona - how sad!)

It was the second time I read it, first time was a year or so ago, but I really enjoyed both times, probably more the second time 'cos by then I'd seen the film and actually listened to Nirvana songs and learnt who Kurt Cobain was.