Sign in to follow this  
mj_planet18

Christine

Has anyone read this?

Does anyone think there should be a sequel?

I think Leigh is an amazing character, but why oh why, didi they have to spilt up at the end?!!!!

Oh and can anyone recommend some King novels for a massive fan of Christine, who has only managed to get halfway through other King novles?

mj

x x x x

My days of being a Stephen King fan are long gone now, but favourites were always It, The Stand, Gerald's Game, Misery, Carrie, and Cujo.

Why the loss of interest? If you dont mind me asking...

I don't mind you asking at all! Mainly loss of writing talent and loss of originality. I still appreciate the old favourites but the rest I think the world could do without.

I'd have to agree with the recommendations above. "Cujo" is probably a good place to start. I'm a huge King fan, and I'd say "IT" and probably "The Stand" are his two best (IT is my all time favourite book). They're a bit long if you've given up on previous titles. Start with Cujo! Not too long, but a very good story.

I loved Salem's Lot, very spooky and enjoyable. I really did struggle to put it down.
Yes, that's a good one too, very spooky, but the film kind of took the shine off the books for me. Needful Things, that's another great one too.

Well i have copies of Carrie, Pet Semetary, Misery, From A Buick8, The Stand, Desperation, Black House, Cell, Insomnia and Needful Things.

I've started and given up on The Stand, From A Buick8 and Desperation.

But I do really want to read them all, and would like to get back into King, so which do you recommend i start with?

:P

I've started and given up on ... From A Buick8

Don't worry about that one - it's rubbish.

which do you recommend i start with?

Carrie, possibly as it was his first to be published, then maybe Needful Things as it's a great story start to finish. Or Misery for the same reason.

Well i have copies of Carrie, Pet Semetary, Misery, From A Buick8, The Stand, Desperation, Black House, Cell, Insomnia and Needful Things.

I've started and given up on The Stand, From A Buick8 and Desperation.

But I do really want to read them all, and would like to get back into King, so which do you recommend i start with?

:P

"Pet Semetary" is one of the earlier novels, and pretty creepy. It's a very good read!

''From A Buick8'' and ''Hearts of Atlantis,'' I didn't enjoy. ''Christine'' and ''Carrie'' were great. However, a book I loved was his 'On Writing', a very candid autobiography with an insight to how his mind ticks.

I'll start this by saying I'm a huge fan of King and have read most of his books (the only ones I haven't read are the small print runs or the only on kindle ones) and a few years back I decided, in between all the other books I read, to read all his stuff again in chronological order including the short stories. So this last week it was the turn of Christine.

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it this time round, I found it far too long and think it would have been much better as a short story. The main characters are good enough but lacked any real meat to their bones. There were large parts of it I was just speed reading through just to get it finished. 

This took me back quite a few years Tay when I was reading many of King's 'horror' books - I enjoyed them back then, Christine was the evil car wasn't she if memory serves?

This took me back quite a few years Tay when I was reading many of King's 'horror' books - I enjoyed them back then, Christine was the evil car wasn't she if memory serves?

Yes that's right Momac  :)

Christine was the evil car and I read the book right about the time my husband's first car tried to murder me with great regularity.  She would lurch into an intersection and then stall, hoping someone would hit me.  I called her Christine and my husband rarely rose to her defense.  She had overheated anytime we drove her above 45 miles per hour between San Francisco and Dallas.  That's a LONG way to go 45 mph and a lot of it is very uninteresting scenery.  She has been long gone from our lives, thank goodness.

Christine was the evil car and I read the book right about the time my husband's first car tried to murder me with great regularity.  She would lurch into an intersection and then stall, hoping someone would hit me.  I called her Christine and my husband rarely rose to her defense.  She had overheated anytime we drove her above 45 miles per hour between San Francisco and Dallas.  That's a LONG way to go 45 mph and a lot of it is very uninteresting scenery.  She has been long gone from our lives, thank goodness.

Sounds like you're well shot of her Binker  :drive:

Sounds like you're well shot of her Binker  :drive:

Very much so.  He took it to a dealership that advertises "we tote the note," which tells you how much money we made off of Christine.

Very much so.  He took it to a dealership that advertises "we tote the note," which tells you how much money we made off of Christine.

I'd never heard that phrase "we tote the note" Binker, just googled it to find out what it meant. And yes your post now makes sense given your opinion of Christine!

It's only used in the very cheapest car lots in poorer areas of town.  It was a terrible car--built at full size with a much smaller engine in order to make it more "fuel efficient."  My husband thinks the car dealer, who was a family friend and going to take care of him since he didn't have a father--screwed him over.  But he learned a lot from that experience.  I don't think we've bought a bad car or paid too much for it ever since.  It helps that we buy cars and keep them forever.  So it hasn't been that many.  

A few years ago an accountant said to me that the best way to buy a car is either to buy new and run it 'forever' until it starts costing too much to repair or buy a three year old car and change every three years.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Hazel
      I think Stephen King stopped being classed as horror a long time ago but still this is where people would expect to find of his reviews. This is his most recent collection of short stories - I will say straight off the bat that it's not as good as his last two collections but it is still full of dark treats. What sets this collection apart, is that King gives a little intro at the start of each story telling his constant readers where the inspiration came from for the coming tale. Given that On Writing is so good, these little intros are a delicious bonus.

The stories within are each fantastic little reads but stand out stories are Obits and Drunken Fireworks. Obits is about a journo who writes the obituaries for a little publication. As a joke, he writes the obit of his boss in a pique of frustration but when she dies the next day, he finds he has a terrible power. Dangerous but becomes more so when it gets exploited. Drunken Fireworks is a rather amusing tale of one-up-manship on July the 4th. Living on a river, is a relatively poor family who bought their shack when property was cheap. Across the river, on the other side, is a mobster who owns a massive mansion. Each year they try to outdo each other with fireworks. it becomes a famous battle in the neighbourhood and so begins a worldwide search for the ultimate firework.

I love Stephen King, I love his stories so I am pretty easy to impress. When he's good, he's great - this collection isn't that but it's still head and shoulders above most who try to emulate the Master.
    • By Hazel
      Stephen King gets a lot of stick and Stephen King fans bear a fair amount too but I am a happy-to-be fan. What I like about reading Stephen King is that you are guaranteed a story. Yes, one that the plot takes precedent to prose, but that's why we humans read and have a history of story-telling. But you are guaranteed a story. You are also guaranteed characters that you immediately 'get'. His characters are steeped in the ordinary, normalcy and therefore you buy it, allowing King to introduce the extraordinary which you automatically accept.

Revival is no different. The extraordinary in the ordinary. Jamie Morton is a small boy in the 60s. A new pastor comes to town and Jamie and Charles immediately strike up a friendship. One that will take them to old age, despite themselves. Charles has a hobby - he loves electricity. Think Tesla in a tunic. He plays with electricity and one day, cures Jamie's older brother using a sort of DIY electroshock therapy.

Then one day something horrific happens and Charles suffers a devastating blow that shakes his faith in God. When he delivers a rant at church, he is asked to leave and Jamie doesn't seem again until they are both older.

Cue a carnival and Jamie - ex-Rock star, junkie, washed up has been - sees and older Charles perform. He is now doing a strange electricity show where he 'cures' people with his magic rings. They come into contact again and Charles turns his curing power to Jamie's drug addiction and hooks him up with a job with a previous 'patient'.

But these people Charles cures - what becomes of them? What are the side effects of their cure? These are the questions that begin to haunt Jamie and he tries to get the answers. Ultimately Jamie finds himself in a situation of both wanting and hating Charles' power.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Spanning a long period, I felt immersed in the story and the characters at all times. Being a bit of a fan of Tesla, I especially liked the subject matter. I found the use of electricity being the 'horror' with the mad scientist who used to be a religious person, quite fascinating. Highly recommended.
    • By Hazel
      A man drives a Mercedes into a people waiting in a job queue. As Mr King is wont to do, he introduces us to a couple of the soon-to-be bumper-fodder before he introduces the bumper of the Mercedes. A desperate man. A young mother with her baby.

Bill Hodges retired cop is haunted by this unsolved crime. He leads sedentary, junk food-filled daily existence until he receives a letter in the post from the killer laughing at Hodges' inability to catch him. Hodges ignores the claim but begins to put the case together. The owner of the stolen Mercedes, the murder weapon, dies some time after the crime was committed and Hodges doesn't think this is a coincidence. With his IT literate neighbour and the sister of the Mercedes owner, this little band of people flung together begin to chase a killer. Just as he chases them.

King has announces that this book is the beginning of a trilogy featuring Bill Hodges and I am really pleased to hear that. I enjoyed this very much - as a straightforward crime novel it is very good. King is always...well, king at drawing his characters and the extraordinary predicament they find themselves in.

• By lunababymoonchild
      This is a novella from the book Different Seasons.  Said book contains three other novellas of King's.

King has always been a treasured favourite of mine but I felt the need to give up reading his books twenty years ago as it was pointed out to me, by my brother, that my behaviour was changing and he suggested giving up King.  Much to my regret he was right.  I should point out that I did not come close to being an axe-weilding murderer. 

Curiously, this experience was an aid to making the Apt Pupil story very real.

The Apt Pupil is Todd Bowden, a straight A student of 13 when he seeks out a Nazi war criminal Kurt Dussander, who is in his early 70's.  The reader is led to believe that Todd is merely going to blackmail Dussander and the reader is correct but the sting in the tail is that all Todd wants is to find out is what it was actually like to be involved in the death camps.  Over a period of years he does find out, in great detail.  The effects that that has on both Todd and Kurt is what takes up the majority of the story and is truly horrific.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novella, it feels to me to be King at his best.  I did not anticipate the ending at all, although I did know that it could not end well. 

This one is for King fans who know what to expect from him and they won't be disappointed.  Highly recommended.
    • By Hazel
      Horns has recently been made into a film starring Daniel Radcliffe in the main role I believe. I can see why it would make a good film, it's a good read.

Ig is rich, son of a musician, brother to a TV star and he has a girlfriend that he adores, Merrin. He befriends an odd boy at school and the three of them, over summer, forge a bond. Merrin is later killed and Ig is believed by all to be the culprit. Then one day Ig grows horns and with them the ability to hear what people are really saying. Their thoughts. Their truths. So he decides to use his new power to find out who killed his beloved Merrin.

While this is a good read, Hill suffers a little of his father's flaw - he writes great characters, great childhoods which are endearing and malevolent in turn, great starts to a story, full of promise that unfortunately fizzles out a little at the end and just for a moment, loses the reader.

I loved the relationship between Ig and Lee, the odd friend who needs Ig so much. It was intriguing and off-kilter - just as you'd expect and want. The question of Merrin's demise is really secondary to the story and I didn't find myself really thinking about it. The end just was a bit...hmm, saw that coming.