Colin Phillips

Site problem?

66 posts in this topic

I couldn't log on last night (11.15pm-ish). That was the second time this week.

I have also received email notification of a P.M. at about 8.30 this morning which has not made it into my BGO message box.

I sent Bill PMs about both the down-times, which were oddly coincidental in their time-slots. Presumably a problem with the server? It did have me sweating, though, with fears of another meltdown!

I've moved this to Announcements and Tips since this is the area where any technical questions about the site go.

Yes, I have an email notification about a PM... but no PM. Confusing!!

Please don't go away, I have only just settled into my seat here.

Yes, I have an email notification about a PM... but no PM. Confusing!!

My PM, when I looked more carefully, had actually been sent back in November. :eek:

I also had email notification of a 'Reported Post'. which had seemingly not arrived, either, but that on closer inspection, was found to have been sent in October!:yikes:

I hope the back-up Bill is now paying for has been working, but preferably that Andrew can uncover the source of the current problem, and fix it, PDQ!

"I've moved this to Announcements and Tips since this is the area where any technical questions about the site go."

OK, sorry about that, didn't know. :o

OK, sorry about that, didn't know. :o

No need to apologise, Colin! :) It takes a while to pick up all the nuances of the site.

To add to the reports of problems today, I have just logged in in response to an e-mail sent at 10.34 this morning notifying me about a new PM, when I have no new PMs waiting. Hope you find the gremlins responsible :)

Hope you find the gremlins responsible :)

Well, as long as we don't expose them to bright light, throw water on them or feed them after midnight, then we should, fingers crossed, be fine.

I am assured by Andrew Kenny that the problems have been resolved:

"The issue was resolved this morning at 7am. The mail server didn't start correctly and instead started an old mail server which may have caused some old emails to be sent as it tried to find everyone's mailboxes. At 11am I managed to get the correct mail server working."

So that's why some of you may have had notification of a PM that didn't exist.

So, what I want to know is, if I spend long enough writing a post that I have been automatically logged out, and when I press 'submit' get sent to the log in page, where does my post go???

And can you please send me a stamp or direct me to a tatooist or something who will inscribe on my hand somewhere a reminder to compose long posts in Word pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese?

So, what I want to know is, if I spend long enough writing a post that I have been automatically logged out, and when I press 'submit' get sent to the log in page, where does my post go???

Strange - I have to say that I have never been logged out :confused:

Kimberley the other way is to stay logged in by checking the box "keep me logged in" when you log in. That way you will never be logged out even when doing long posts.

Call me a baby if you like, but everyone's talking about PMs and I don't think I've got one and don't know where to find one and if I don't get one soon I'll scweeeam and scweeam!

Nonsuch do you have a thing in the top corner of your screen that says

Welcome, nonsuch.

You last visited: Today at 02:55 PM

Private Messages: 0 Unread, Total 0.

If so then click where it says Private Messages!

Just to note that I currently have 65,534 unread PMs.

Obviously I don't. I suspect this is linked to all sorts of glitches I'm having with my machine at the moment. My connection is constantly breaking down and the site for me has been ludicrously slow for me today, but I always try to post these things now in case it's a sign of coming problems again.

Just to note that I currently have 65,534 unread PMs.

You busy boy! Are you using BGO as dating site?! ;)

Thanks for sharing though - fears of another crash are just too much to bear.

You busy boy! Are you using BGO as dating site?! ;)

:D

Oh I fear it would be at a steady zero if that were the case! :rolleyes:

Anyway, if I vanish for a bit that will be the reason - it's been a struggle of resets and restarts to keep the connection going this morning! :(

Well, after deleting a chunk of my stored messages it has re-set to zero unread again.

Mighty per-culiar but apparently back to normal!

I never log out from my regular sites, so was somewhat disconcerted to be asked to log in to BGO this visit (not even my first today). No problem anywhere else, so I wonder what happened here?

Anyone else needed to log in today when not expecting to?

Anyone else needed to log in today when not expecting to?

Nope - it's been okay for me, meg.

You haven't cleared out your cookies or temporary internet files between your visits, have you?

Needing to log in again generally means that the cookie that remembers you has gone.

Either that or you accidentally clicked on the "log out" which I've managed to do without realising a couple of times.

You haven't cleared out your cookies or temporary internet files between your visits, have you?
Wouldn't know how :dunce:

or you accidentally clicked on the "log out" which I've managed to do without realising a couple of times.
I never log out of anywhere, and have no reason to put my cursor anywhere near that corner of the page.

It will just have to remain one of the (many) mysteries surrounding the workings of comuters/the internet :o