Sign in to follow this  
Bill

What song is on your brain...right now?

A 'companion' thread to What song are you listening to...right now? Many of us don't listen to music much in the day, yet there is always music going on in our heads. I sometimes have three or four competing for attention, usually without knowing why. Sometimes there's the more logical explanation that I heard the song recently.

So this afternoon I've had David Gray's Babylon in my head (as a result of seeing a glimpse of him on This Morning). I like the song, but not him.

This took over from the folk song Blooming Heather which I saw performed on BBC4's show from The Cambridge Folk Festival the other day, and which had been with me for a couple of days.

I also have a repertoire of songs that regularly run around my head, and stick around for several days. I only have to think of the song, or a word in the song, let alone hear it, for it to hang around for ages as an unwelcome guest (even if I like the song). Someone recently dubbed these songs worms. I can think of two examples immediately: Oh Diane by Fleetwood Mac, and New Amsterdam by Elvis Costello. There are many more, but I try not to think of them.

Usually the last song I hear on the radio or my iPod of a morning stays in my head for the rest of the day. Today it was Set This Day Apart by Hipsway.

the folk song Blloming Heather
D*mn you Bill!
Someone recently dubbed these songs worms
I know them as Ear worms.

I used to find myself permanently possessed by ear worms when I was working with the old folks. For some reason nearly all of them had names that reminded me of songs from my childhood

Lily of Laguna

Rose of Tralee

Champagne Charlie

Burlington Bertie

etc.

:rolleyes:

I know them as Ear worms.

Oh yes, that's it.

Have I transferred Blooming (sic) Heather to you now, meg? There are worse songs...

Hey, Bill, what a great idea for a thread! I always have a song or two bobbing around in my mind, and whenever I have to change my password at work, I always use one of them as the basis - a combination of the artist and year. Last one I had was Drifters60.

When I get up in the morning, I nearly always have a football-related song lurking in my head - We Are The Champions (a record I don't particularly like, but it became an anthem about 18 months ago!), or a variation on Go West. Bob The Builder is often skulling around in my head as well!

Right now, I'm listening to some real music, which gets addressed elsewhere, but I will be back on this thread tomorrow!

D*mn you Bill! I know them as Ear worms.

:rolleyes:

Whenever I get one of these, and they always seem to be songs I don't particularly like, the only way I can get rid of them is to substitute my own favourite earworm - Billy Bragg's Between The Wars. I can call it up and get it to knock out the unwelcome earworm. There is sometimes a bit of a struggle but Billy always wins in the end :)

Whenever I get one of these, and they always seem to be songs I don't particularly like, the only way I can get rid of them is to substitute my own favourite earworm - Billy Bragg's Between The Wars. I can call it up and get it to knock out the unwelcome earworm. There is sometimes a bit of a struggle but Billy always wins in the end :)

One of my earworms is Billy Bragg's Sexuality - which has now taken over as the song on my brain...right now! I have to sing it doing a very exaggerrated BB impression: "I've relay-shuns with gurls of many nay-shuns / I've made par-sis at wimmin of all clar-sis".

Set This Day Apart by Hipsway.

Hipsway!! One of the great Scottish bands of my era. I knew the drummer's mum.

I bought their album on CD a while back, and I still love to hear it.

I have to sing it doing a very exaggerrated BB impression: "I've relay-shuns with gurls of many nay-shuns / I've made par-sis at wimmin of all clar-sis".
:lmao: :lmao:

'Jingle Bell Rock' has been running through my mind on and off for the past few days after Hazel mentioned it on the Christmas songs thread.

Ta Haze. :rolleyes:

I have Big Girl by Mika spinning around in my head. It was on the radio this morning and it hasn't budged from my mind all day. I swear that I know the words of by heart now.

Hipsway!! One of the great Scottish bands of my era. I knew the drummer's mum.

I bought their album on CD a while back, and I still love to hear it.

I wish I had put money on you picking this up MM! How good were they? I also have the Love and Money album on my iPod.

'Jingle Bell Rock' has been running through my mind on and off for the past few days after Hazel mentioned it on the Christmas songs thread.

Ta Haze. :rolleyes:

Welcome David. :D At least you'll be feeling all Christmassy now.

I also have the Love and Money album on my iPod.

Oh, yes, I love them too. James Grant is still good - I saw him do a free gig at Glasgow Green a while back, and it was so good.

What I hjave ruinning through my head ... all the maddeningly catchy songs that you folk keep mentioning! It's weird how a song will pop back into my head during the day - often the one that woke me up on the radio alarm.

I was playing in a concert tonight - and I can guarantee that my ear worms until the weekend will be most of the programme.

I won't be able to listen to my current audio book in the car until they have eased - otherwise I'll be driving along and suddenly burst out in full voice with "Swing March" (by Henry Mancini), and have to sing the entire thing through resulting in missing at least a chapter of the book!

I was playing in a concert tonight - and I can guarantee that my ear worms until the weekend will be most of the programme.

I mentioned in the "What Are You Listening to" thread that "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles is on of the items, I've just realised how apt it is with the line:

Lady Madonna lying on the bed

Listen to the music playing in your head

I am, I tell you, I am! Now get out of it!!!

I frequently wake up with a song playing in my head - I have no idea why. One that's been hanging around since watching SCD last Saturday is Lee Meade singing Paint it Black, but I don't mind because I like the way he sings it.

I've woken up with The Drugs Don't Work by The Verve on the brain - an ear worm if ever there was one.

This was on my brain last thing last night. I always find it odd when, as soon as I wake up, I have the same song on the brain as when I went to sleep. I think I read somewhere that that means it's been playing in my brain on a low level in the background while I've been asleep.

Rock and Roll by the Velvet Underground - it's one of those that crops up as an earworm fairly regularly. Yesterday it was the riff from Black Dog by Led Zep. I tend to have a different one every day depending on what mood I'm in. Today, I'm evidently in a chilled-out sort of humour :hippy:

Hazel and MinxMinnie - I remember Hipsway too. I had their first (I think..) album but it's been lost in all my moves and clearouts :(

In keeping with my comment yesterday about football related songs when I get up, I had "Give Us A Goal" in my head as I was getting the boys their Coco Shreddies this morning.

Right now, I've got a riff that I don't recognise, but as it's only got 13 notes, I'm getting a bit tired of it!

Last Train To London - ELO

The only possible reason I can think of us is that I have a friend coming to see us tonight, who'll be travelling from London Waterloo. If he stays till 10, he will indeed travel on the last train to London.