Sign in to follow this  
Minxminnie

Coronation Street

Yes, Meg, I just wondered why a shampoo? It's not as if anything about it was remotely Weatherfieldish.
Since when has appropriateness bothered merchandisers?

Well, my hard disc recorder let me down. Did I miss anything good last night?
Vernon's return. Teresa's revelation to (or con trick on) Lloyd.

Norris in the kebab shop.

Have you tried this site ?

I enjoyed this from Grace Dent's "World of Lather" column in yesterday's Guardian: a celebration of Becky, my new favourite Corrie character.

I've grown to love Becky Grainger, all-new Duchess of Weatherfield, stood behind the Roy's Rolls counter, chewing gum clacking, gold hoops swaying, shiny Reebok hoodie on over her tabard, nipping off for a Regal red before the lunch rush. In her unmithered state, Becky is sparrow-like and dainty, but the majority of the time resembles a fractious Komodo dragon prowling the shores waiting for yummy divers to wash up. Nobody bullies Becky Grainger, not the local builders, not posho management types from Underworld, not Audrey Roberts with her withering looks at Becky's picking her ears by the egg mayo mix.

Customers are welcome to give feedback on Becky's service although a return punch in the windpipe might offend. When we first met Becky she was an urchin turned homeless ex-con crouched in a ball on the curb begging for spare shrapnel, so it's safe to say that a run-in with Norris over the freshness of the ham and cheese bloomer doesn't ruffle her feathers much.

I wish someone would love Becky. She thrives when trust and affection is thrust upon her. Becky's platonic relationship with boss and father-figure Roy Cropper has been beautiful to watch unfold. Hapless, kind Roy lives wholly by society's forgotten rules on dignity, honour and conduct. He's a bygone man, which renders him virtually a loner in a bewildering world. On the other hand Becky has run wild for the past 20 years saying and doing whatever and made scarce friends because of it. Joined together, the pair make one able body equipped to take on the world.

My heart soars when someone tries to take advantage of Roy's good nature and Becky launches herself from the frying pans like a TK Maxx-clad X-Man landing among the plastic gingham tablecloths with a loud "WhatgoingonereRoy? Youneedan'and?" I suppose the point Corrie writers are making in a slow-burn, over 36 months way, is that sometimes you actually do need to hug-a-hoodie. Yes, even the hoodie that has been fired on numerous occasions for thieving from your till. Roy has persevered with Becky and shown great empathy and love. It was only when Becky believed that Roy genuinely did "expect better from her behaviour" that she began towing the line. I will not rest until she's landlady of the Rovers, it seems her rightful place.

Poor badly-used Becky. It's good to see that someone cares about her!

Pity about this:

It was only when Becky believed that Roy genuinely did "expect better from her behaviour" that she began towing the line.
(my underlining)

I see they are finally going to deal with the demise of Blanche tonight, after the death of Maggie Jones, the actress who played her.

It must be a very difficult thing for a soap to deal with - especially someone as well loved as Blanche. I think it's good that they have left a decent length of time since the actual death of the actress - longer than they would have needed to, given storylines, I think.

I wonder if we'll get a wee montage of her best lines, like

"Skirt no bigger than a belt, too much eyeliner, and roots as dark as her soul."

Or this bit where she gives Simon her thoughts on Postman Pat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=catEhS8k_BU

I wonder if Corrie has a new writer - I thought there was some great writing last night.

Nick's scene dumping Natasha and Leanne's subsequent scene discovering her pregnancy were great, I thought. Also Ken and Deirdrie's conversation following his discovery of her infedility with Lewis. Audrey's acceptance of the truth about Lewis was nicely underplayed. The scenes just had the feel of the way people might actually talk in those situations.

I wish they would hold back on the catfights - seeing Deirdrie with cake all over her specs was a great comic moment, but they trot out middle aged women in fist fights a bit too often for my liking. But overall, I thought there was a different feel to the episodes last night, with better quality scripts, and it made me wonder if the scriptwriters had changed.

Well, they have a new producer who is getting rid of about ten characters before the end of the winter, so perhaps this is the point at which his ideas start to be enacted. Natasha will be the first to go, her last appearance is supposedly next month.

I agree about last night's episodes, Corrie at its best apart, as you say, from the Manxchester Tart (liked the pun but not the slapstick) and the cat fight - that was credible in Elsie Tanner's day, but no-one on Corrie is common enough for that nowadays.

Much as Natasha has always irritated me, I did feel sorry for her last night when she asked Leanne "Does no-one want a wife anymore?"

And as for Dierdre's face when the DVD was shown, both in the shop and at Gail's house... :lmao::lmao:

Last night I had a bumpber Corrie night, catching up on all the episodes which were on while I was on hol. (Some of them didn't tape because we had some electrical work done while we we're away)

I agree about the conversation between Deirdre and Ken. Both were bitterly resigned to their situation. They've both had more affairs than soft Mick. I'm sure there must be so many couples in the same boat living in less than satisfactory marriages but for whatever reason never jump ship and call it a day. The scene was of a much higher qualilty than the usual stuff trotted out of soaps.

What are you making of the tram crash?

I found last night's episode very traumatic to watch - the aftermath. I thought it was done very well, and I had to remind myself they were only acting. I knew it was good when I found myself worrying later about Jason in the burning house!

I see the website has extras, like newsflashes and the like. An article in the paper heralded this as a new departure for television, interacting with viewers in a multi platform blah blah blah. To me, it feels a bit like an English project! "Ok, children, now I want you to go into your groups and make a newsflash from the scene. Decide which one of you is Alistair Stewart ..."

Maybe the posts about Coronation Street could be moved over here instead of Films, TV., Radio?  

I've stopped watching Corrie.

I hated the Tyrone domestic violence story, and the Tina surrogacy story, and the Sunita & Karl story, so wasn't enjoying it. Then our FreeSat dish started to play up, and we had more nights with no reception than with, so I just got out of the habit of watching.

I follow the events in The Street on the Corrie Group thread on Ravelry, but they keep coming up with story lines that would be at home in Walford. If I wanted that sort of thing I'd watch East Enders, so I just don't bother.

Give me heart-warming, or amusing characters like Minnie Caldwell, Martha Longhurst  & Ena Sharples, Curly & Raquel, Jack & Vera, Hilda & Stan, Eddie Yeats,

Len Fairclough and Elsie Tanner.

Oops, my age is showing!

Give me heart-warming, or amusing characters like Minnie Caldwell, Martha Longhurst  & Ena Sharples, Curly & Raquel, Jack & Vera, Hilda & Stan, Eddie Yeats,

Len Fairclough and Elsie Tanner.

Oops, my age is showing!

meg, those are the characters I remember from when I lived in UK and was a firm fan.  I am surprised Coronation Street  is still going. Does it have the same introductory  music to start with?

Also remember The Archers with far more affection -  Dan and Doris, Jack and Peggy(?) and of course Walter Gabriel.

I finally gave up watching Corrie when Hayley's cancer story started. I had only been watching intermittently for some time before then. 

However, !TV3 are currently showing two episode of what they call "Classic" Coronation  Street every afternoon.

It started yesterday, with the episode where Alan Bradley makes his first appearance, and Susan Barlow leave's the family home to move in with Mike Baldwin.

I do not know if it is only for this week or continuing for an indefinite period but, if I am at home at that time, I may sit down with an afternoon cuppa and inuldge in some Corrie nostalgia.

edit: according to the Radio Times for next week (out today) Classic Coronation street is to be shown "for the foreseeable future" :)

It would be interesting to see if it is very different! 

I watch Corrie regularly though with only half an eye on it. I think they are handling the Bethany child exploitation storyline well. I used to like the slow brewing villains,  but they seem to have too many of them these days. 

I was, for a while, watching classic Take The High Road being repeated on STV2. It was interesting to see how slow and gentle it could be. It got drama out of real things - a young girl discovers the boy she fancies has another girl, parents realise their son is stealing. It would be good if dramatists could do that now in a soap. 

(Some of the acting was pretty ropey, right enough...) 

Only seen the one episode so far, and was a little disappointed in the quality of the scripts, and some of the acting.  I doubt I would bother with a present day drama of that standard,  but I can't be doing with the amount of arguing and violence that seems to be the only way characters can express themselves in today's soaps.

Of course, Alan Bradley did a fair amount of that, but not episode after episode. 

It was a bit of a shock to see how young they all looked!

Didn't know any of this about Coronation Street, I simply stopped watching when it became more than I wanted to watch.  Grooming Bethany for prostitution was really disgusting so after so many years of hardly ever missing an episode I just packed it in.  Maybe I'll see what 'Classic' looks like.