Sign in to follow this  
Minxminnie

Coronation Street

Ok, to stop clogging up other threads with rants about Gail's stupidity etc, I thought we should have a Corrie thread.

(It's the only one I watch, so I resisted a combined soaps thread as I'd get really confused!)

So, what do you like / hate about Corrie? Which storylines really got to you, and which do you think should never have seen the light of day? Which characters would you ditch, and which would you bring back?

What I really love about Corrie isn't so much the big storylines - it's the small observational stuff, and the humour. Just now, I love Becky in the cafe. And of course, there's Blanche. And Steve&Eileen. And Lloyd.

The John / Rosie story, I think, is badly written, but it's not a patch on the holes in the David storyline. When he reappeared, why was he not taken to hospital? Questioned by police? Given some sort of help, as it was an apparent suicide attempt? Why did Martin not come to see him? It seems as if they're not really interested in David as a rounded character, more as a catalyst for all sorts of dramatic happenings.

Great - a perfect place for me to air my views about the John and Rosie storyline. I'm afraid I find it quite revolting and a little near the mark. Does anyone else think this or is it me being (for once) prudish?

Plus I am completely bored with the David storyline now.

Although I am just about to watch it I have to admit to lising my motivation to do so. This seems to happen to my sporadically, when I am bored with or do not liek a particular storyline.

I too am finding the john and Rosie story very uncomfortable to watch - and not just because it will hurt Fizz. He has now gone down even further in my estimation (not actually possible) by telling the little tramp about her mother's foolishness.

I agree with what has been said about David's treatment, or lack thereof, after he got out of the canal - and of course, anyone's father would have rushed straight over, new(ish) wife and sick baby notwithstanding, but they don't even seem to have told Martin!

I don't know where they are going to take this storyline now, but the weddingdress on the bonfire was amusing - and it is the comedy element that has kept me watching Corrie (On and off) for so many years.

I am really enjoying the David storyline and the boy that plays David is fantastic. How he can simultaneously smug and evil is brilliant. The wedding dress on the bonfire was inspired.

Re John and Rosie - eugh. I love Fiz and feel really bad for her. But Rosie being a tramp? Like mother, like daughter. Sally is reaping what she has sown. Imagine John telling Rosie about her mum! And Rosie's glee in teasing Sally about it was extremely uncomfortable to watch.

Sally and Gail are my perpetual figures of hate. They are both so self-righteous but completely blinkered tramps. I would never talk to women like them in real life.

Right now though, Jerry is really doing my head in, using his daughter as a mother and slave. I really hope he gets his comeuppance.

Sally and Gail are my perpetual figures of hate. They are both so self-righteous but completely blinkered tramps. I would never talk to women like them in real life.

Now that just shocks me to my core!! When I used to watch it 15-20 years ago (before I discovered books) Sally and Gail were happily married, sweet, loyal and devoted to their husbands and would never even so much as look at another bloke.

Now you say they're tramps? Good grief! What have the scriptwriters done to these poor women? It's a disgrace I tell ya...

What have the scriptwriters done to these poor women?

Maybe you'll come back to Corrie now RR? ;)

Gail has how many children to different fathers? 3? And has shacked up with nearly every man that glanced her way. Put her kids in the line of a murderer, and a child-beater.

Sally tries at every opportunity to upgrade her husband from lowly mechanic. She puts one child in private school and ahead of her other much maligned younger daughter.

Lordy, things were different 20 years ago.

Gail has how many children to different fathers? 3? And has shacked up with nearly every man that glanced her way.

Then again, isn't that just an inherent problem with any character who's in soaps for years on end? In order to get different storylines there are divorces, affairs and secret attractions left right and centre. It's all just a glorious game of musical chairs - they've lived in umpteen different houses round the street, slept with umpteen different partners, all in the name of the next big storyline. I mean even Ken's done some pretty impressive rounds of female characters over the years.

Ken!!!

I gave up watching years ago. It just became too silly and frankly rather boring, but I know there have been some decent storylines since.

Catch-up for RR

Sally has become a snob, and has ideas above her station. She sent Rosie to a private school, and is being rewarded by being sneered at by her elder daughter. She's had a couple of affairs, separated (divorced? can't remember) from Kevin, but got back together again. Would prefer him not to be getting his hands dirty fixing cars.

Having had one of her husbands try to kill of the whole family, Gail has become rather pathetic, whiney and over protective of her kids. David discovered that Gail had considered aborting him, and has used it as a rod to beat her with, compounding her feelings of guilt and self-blame.

Then again, isn't that just an inherent problem with any character who's in soaps for years on end? In order to get different storylines there are divorces, affairs and secret attractions left right and centre. It's all just a glorious game of musical chairs - they've lived in umpteen different houses round the street, slept with umpteen different partners, all in the name of the next big storyline. I mean even Ken's done some pretty impressive rounds of female characters over the years.

Ken!!!

You are absolutely right David - but logic doesn't stop me from shouting at the telly.

And Ken? It amazes me that up until the last tango with Deirdre, (her of the turkey neck and unfeasibly belted belly), he had racked up 21 partners in his time at Corrie. Ken?!

Having had one of her husbands try to kill of the whole family...

As you do...

;)

No, actually I know my mother really enjoyed that particular storyline.

You are absolutely right David - but logic doesn't stop me from shouting at the telly.

Oh no, sure. That's the whole nature of these things, isn't it? They suck you in emotionally and much as you know it's all plotted in a certain way you still find yourself absorbed. That's part of the reason why I stopped watching.

Deirdre, (her of the turkey neck and unfeasibly belted belly)

Actually, what most amazed me about Deirdre when I caught five minutes several months ago was her voice. Deep enough when I was regularly watching over a decade ago it now sounds as though she's been gargling gravel during the intervening years. Now that the legendary Barry White is no longer with us I see an opening if she ever chooses to leave the Street...

Actually, what most amazed me about Deirdre when I caught five minutes several months ago was her voice. Deep enough when I was regularly watching over a decade ago it now sounds as though she's been gargling gravel during the intervening years.
It'll be the fags.

It amazes me that up until the last tango with Deirdre, (her of the turkey neck and unfeasibly belted belly), he had racked up 21 partners in his time at Corrie. Ken?!
There was a time during the past 46 years when I would happily have taken a place in his hareem :o

If I had the talent, I'd write a continuing drama (avoiding the word soap) in which married people stayed married for a decent amount of time and didn't have two affairs a year; young people by and large went to school and avoided sleeping with their teachers / getting pregnant / overdosing on drugs; and there were only infrequent sightings of serial killers.

The drama would come from the small things that real drama does come from in life. Unrequited love, failure, jealousy, anger, ambition...

I maintain that it has to be possible, if you've got the talent as a writer, which, sadly, I don't have. Done properly, it would be far more absorbing than the silly stuff. For me, the best bits of Corrie are the bits where they get to the truth - Roy encouraging Hayley to follow her dream, or Lloyd and Jodie tentatively flirting, or Chesney losing his dog. Sally falling for John was convincing (though John sleeping with Rosie wasn't). I wish it could be like that more, and I maintain that there has to be a dramatist who could pull it off.

I stopped watching soaps several years ago. We somehow found ourselves watching EE, Corrie and Emmerdale. When they started increasing the number of episodes per week, I put my foot down with a firm hand. My wife does remind me of it from time to time, but we now choose very carefully what series we watch. Heroes, Lost, Doc Martin, the occasional football match (no - seriously, I'm very selective!), Doctor Who, Holby (but not Casualty), Heartbeat / The Royal (dangerously close to soap territory but only once a week).

I too stopped watching all soaps years ago. Having being an addict of EE, Corrie and Brookie, I went cold-turkey overnight. I started listening to the Archers instead though and am now totally addicted to that! It has its fair share of affairs, partner-swapping, illegitimate children and gay weddings - as well as lambing and harvest festivals. And... I can do other things while it's on (I hate the time-wasting feeling of sitting in front of the telly.)

I started listening to the Archers instead though and am now totally addicted to that! It has its fair share of affairs, partner-swapping, illegitimate children and gay weddings - as well as lambing and harvest festivals. And... I can do other things while it's on (I hate the time-wasting feeling of sitting in front of the telly.)

That's a strange background experience for me - frequently a fixture of very lazy Sunday mornings as I finally make it to the bathroom and listen to the Ambridge omnibus whilst shaving etc. But I rarely listen to the whole thing and will also catch snippets during the week, so it's a bit like listening in to people you see now and again in the pub: you get a brief flavour of their lives without being intimate or even quite being sure who they are! It's the sort of undemanding fare that lends itself quite well to that.

I stopped watching Corrie, or much TV at all, during the 70s and into the 80s, then in 1984 we swapped our tiny B&W portable TV for a slightly larger portable colour TV for the express purpose of watching Torville and Dean's winning performance of Bolero in the winter olympics. Of course, once there was a TV in situ we started watching it more often.

My husband and I have totally different taste in TV programmes, and for some time Corrie was the only thing we watched together (now it is Dr Who and SCD). He soon went off Corrie, but I was hooked!

I only watch Neighbours (though that is fading fast recently) and Home and Away regularly. Soap-wise of course - I mainline other programmes. But that really is because they are on at that times when I am making family meals - lunch and dinner. Corrie and Easties, I dip in and out of when there is a good story line going. For now Corrie has my attention because of David, and Easties because of the Max/Stacey/Tanya/Sean thing. Mostly the TV shows I watch are from the DVD box sets I have of them.

I started watching Neighbours ?? years ago so that I had something I could watch, and talk about, with my sons. As it is on just when I want a sit-down after lunch, I've sort of stuck with it. It has irritated me for years, and each time there is a change of inhabitants in Ramsey Street I decide to stop watching...until the next time I want to put my feet up after lunch. :rolleyes:

I sometimes stay there to watch (or doze through) Doctors - now that has some really silly stories.

I've never liked EastEnders, and have no idea who anybody is these days, the same is true of Emmerdale, and the channel 4 soaps.

The Archers I dip in and out of, sticking with it if there is a storyline that interests me. I'm not an habitual listener, but I do like to have an idea what is happening around Ambridge.

No, it's Corrie for me, with all its flaws ;)

I It has irritated me for years, and each time there is a change of inhabitants in Ramsey Street I decide to stop watching.

On a scale of 1 to 10, just how irritating are all the newbies just now? I say 11...

On a scale of 1 to 10, just how irritating are all the newbies just now? I say 11...

Should I ask Santa to put this in his sack for you...?

0199104182gb3.jpg

;)

I never saw Norris as a Douglas Coupland reader :confused:

Or David as a reader at all! But I love the way Corrie sneaks books in. I think they must have one of us on the scriptwriting team - own up, whoever it is! ;)

Like many others on this thread, I thought David was running out of steam as a character. Giving him a girlfriend is good. An Orwell-reading girlfriend with a wicked tongue is brilliant. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

I was losing interest during the Fizz/John/Rosie story, and the Maria/Liam/Carla one that's bubbling, but the use of Orwell as a means of seduction perked my interest somewhat. :naughty:

I hope Martin had a little talk with David before he scarpered off to Liverpool (?).

Have now given up Neighbours and Doctors completely, thanks to rescheduling :D