Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

We found that we had each retained contact with different members of our old acquaintanceship, so we spent some time bringing each other up-to-date on their news.

It was an interesting couple of hours.

I have no idea what the men were talking about, but they chatted away non-stop in their own corner of the room. Surprising, as the only time they had met before was at that reunion over 30 years ago, and probably didn't exchange more than a few words on that occasion.

I'm struggling to "get back to normal" after the Christmas break. We were so busy in the week between Christmas & New Year, then had those visitors halfway through removing the decorations so I lost momentum.

All the decorations were down by twelfth night, but I have hit a small but significant hold up - our Fisher-Price nativity set was well sucked by the grandbaby, who had a nasty cough and runny nose, so I popped them in a bowl of soapy water. I knew they all had holes in the base, but thought the washing water would drain back out - but no! Some did, but however much I shook them I could still hear water sloshing about inside.

They have now been sitting, upside down, on the hall radiator for four days as I wait for the remaining water to evaporate. It is happening, slowly, but this is the set that has to be packed into the nativities box first (I have about 12 nativities), so all the decorations are sitting in the spare room waiting for their trip up into the loft.

In the meantime the two boxes of ornaments and photographs that were moved out of the sitting room are still in the garage, as they will need unpacking and washing before they get put back up!

U3A Poetry group here tomorrow, but it will just have to take place in a rather bare-looking sitting room!

On amore productive note, I did get out into the garden a couple of times over the w/e to tidy up the clematis (some already showing green shoots) and give them a good mulch of compost. Didn't quite finish, as I lost the feeling in my fingers. I may do a bit more later today - we have no frost, but a there is a biting wind

It sounds as though you have lots to keep you busy Meg.  Even taking a trip out to the garden, that's enthusiasm plus.  We are still snow covered although today the temp has climbed and we're having a bit of a thaw.  We've been in a deep freeze since before Christmas and it's nice to see some raindrops on the window, it's just above freezing so we had a rain shower mixed in with the snow.

How did you manage to accumulate twelve nativities?

Our daughter is after me to go through my closets and drawers for items to put out for the Children's Wish Foundation who collect clothes, household items and several other things - I believe they sell the items which are reusable to the thrift shops and funds go to the Foundation charity.  I have clothes which I know I won't wear again yet I have a sentimental attachment to some of them.  However, will be strong this time and then be grateful that there is more room in my closet.  Many of the clothes are from when I worked in the law office and now we rarely go any place requiring more formal wear so they are definitely not being used.  

5 hours ago, momac said:

How did you manage to accumulate twelve nativities?

I have a knitted one that I made in the mid eighties (below) and the rest I acquired gradually,  probably from the start of this century. i know the first was a rather lovely one I saw in the window of the Bury St Edmunds Cathedral shop, and I just had to have it. I bought several others from similar sources over the next few years, and the Fisher-Price one I bought especially so that it could be put where the grandchildren could handle the figures and rearrange the scene. There are a few smaller sets, including a magnetic one for the fridge, so that the kitchen was not  left out of the festivities.

Thet didn't seem so many when I had them spread out over the old house. They do look a bit excessive now, with most in our one sitting room, but I prefer them to tinsel and paper-chains, so they will re-appear each Christmas - even if I do have to remove all other ornaments and family photos to make room for them!

DSCN0163.JPG

Your knitted nativity is lovely, meg.

My dad has an interesting one. It was brought back from Germany by his dad who was a soldier in WW2: he had looted it from a bombed house. I don't know how I feel about that. Germany was so badly destroyed that it's unlikely anybody would ever have reclaimed it, and it would probably just have gone into rubble, but it does seem slightly wrong. On the other hand, it got me interested in learning German, leading to me studying the language, living there for a year and making lifelong friends, so it had some benefits in cross-cultural understanding!

Admire your patience Meg, that nativity scene is lovely, must have given you a lot of satisfaction.

MM - I can understand the slight squeamishness about something taken from the home of  a bombed house in Germany but it found a good home with your Dad and it's really quite different from bringing back a gun or some other type souvenir from the battlefield.  The scene itself is a message of love and look how it evoked your interest and caused you to have lifelong friends.

Have the new Kindle operational after much time on the phone with Amazon 'help'. The first person was trying to be helpful but the accent was too strong and I had trouble understanding what he was saying.  I would think that Amazon would try to get their phone employees to be able to speak English clearly along with their technical knowledge.  There seemed to be no lack in the technical skill except I couldn't follow the directions.  The second time I phoned a very helpful female assistant, clearly understandable although English not her first language, was able to sort out my problem of converting my Kindle to English instead of Spanish. So all systems seem to be "go".

Lots happening at once this week.  Just had our usual contractor in to see if he could solve our overcrowded kitchen problem and lack of cupboard space.  I fear that we're going to spend the 2018 budget all in the one month.  He drew up a design for a cabinet along the one remaining clear wall and then is going to construct a counter with a rectangular table so we'll have to get rid of the big round maple table that Dave made about twenty years ago. It will be so nice to get all the clutter off the counter and get the pots and pans in a place where I can reach them easily.  Time to start unloading stuff we don't use.:help:

You have my sympathy Momac.

We are confined to quarters again today by the snow, even my brother did not go into work (and is now like a caged lion!).  A chance to get some chores done, I think

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Hope your snow clears soon Luna.

Am really enjoying having a Kindle again, also Australian Open to watch so choice in the evening of what to do.  CP you'll be disappointed that Andy is unable to play because of the hip problem.

Thinking about the kitchen renovation and would like an arborite top on the table, no need for tablecloths, just wipe clean.  Should be fun deciding.

Brilliant sun today, blue skies and sparkling snow, very nice.

I put the telly on early and watch a bit of the tennis each morning Momac but I must admit it is not quite the same for RG and I now that Andy is not playing. I am trying to watch some of the younger players and gain an interest in one or two of them.  At least so far Kyle Edmunds is doing well. I feel that although he may have the game he will never have the mentality to go really far in one of the big tournaments.

I have taken great comfort in the snowy weather that should we get snowed in I have more than enough to read.  I know that's really stupid and not an excuse to have more than 500 books in the house but that's how I feel!

We also have had, at all times, enough to eat.  For which I am always grateful.

And now ...... I'm miffed.  I bought a book, yesterday, from Amazon - Snopes by William Faulkner - to have it delivered today given that it's more than 1000 pages long and I find that it now won't be delivered utnil Monday. *sniff*  Yes, I know that it's probably the weather but they said today.  Never mind we'll probably be snowed in on Monday and nothing will get through at all and I'll be even more miffed.

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I have taken great comfort in the snowy weather that should we get snowed in I have more than enough to read.  I know that's really stupid and not an excuse to have more than 500 books in the house but that's how I feel!

Ha, ha - so true, luna! I have read a fair bit in the last few days. I've really enjoyed the enforced down time. And when I have been at work, I have made sure to take my Kindle, in case I get stranded somewhere and need to keep busy!

33 minutes ago, Minxminnie said:

Ha, ha - so true, luna! I have read a fair bit in the last few days. I've really enjoyed the enforced down time. And when I have been at work, I have made sure to take my Kindle, in case I get stranded somewhere and need to keep busy!

It's the only way to live your life!

Glad you got your book Luna, always good to have something interesting to read.